EDITORIAL: Help for Downtown
And anyone who is looking to open a new business or renovate an existing building in Downtown Houston needs to take advantage of two programs currently being offered by the state and federal government.
The first is the offering of state and federal tax credits for anyone renovating a building listed on the National Historic Register.
The second is a waiver of natural gas utility deposits and first years fees to a new business opening anywhere in Chickasaw County.
Anyone seeking to open a new business in Houston is urged to contact City Hall at 456-2328 about the National Historic Register tax credit. Anyone in Chickasaw County looking to open a new business is urged to contact Public Service Commissioner Brandon Pressley at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling his office at 1-800-356-6428.
Will either of these programs produce a wave of development? Probably not, but they might help someone thinking about starting a business take the jump.
The role of government is to promote economic development and commerce. We think both these programs are a good example of how government can help do that.
Did we also point out that homeowners on the National Historic Register are also eligible for help putting on a new roof, painting their home or restoring it to its former glory. More than 70 properties have been identified as falling in the area included on the National Register.
And we are talking about up to 25 percent in state and federal tax credits on approve improvements.
And the waiver of a $1,000 utility deposit for a commercial development is a savings in real start-up money.
Yes, there is government paperwork and certain requirements. The rest of us would expect no less when you are spending our tax dollars.
There are more buildings than we care to mention that need renovating or repairing in Downtown Houston. There is always a need for new a business in Chickasaw County.
Sadly neither the renovation nor the new business will happen if property owners and prospective new businesses decide to do nothing.
Sometimes it only takes a spark to get a fire going.
We hope these two programs can fuel the flames of economic development in some cold corner of our community.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago