Houlka football coach resigns after opener
By GENE PHELPS
HOULKA — Houlka High School football coach Rob Allen, who was beginning his sixth season, has resigned.
The Wildcats, 2-9 last year, lost Friday night in the their season opener to East Union, 40-6.
“I wish I could discuss it, but I really can’t,” said Allen, who has been the young program’s only coach. “I wasn’t the man they wanted for the job.”
Houlka principal Bo Seago said the team’s three remaining assistants, with help from other staffers, would coach the remainder of the 2013 season.
“The football team will be in good hands,” Seago said. “They will give our team a chance to be competitive on Friday nights.”
The Wildcats play this Friday at Okolona.
Allen was an assistant coach at Terry High School before he was hired to start the program at the Chickasaw County school.
“I had a bunch of kids who played hard,” Allen said Tuesday. “I hope they are successful and I wish them nothing but the best.”
Allen’s teams had a 9-36 record during his tenure. The Class 1A program played its first three seasons as an MHSAA independent.
A search for a new head coach will be conducted following the season.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago