Lady Rams take the field
The Lady Rams got a slow start against South Pontotoc Saturday in the Houston Classic, but when they got cranked up, they came on strong.
After a scoreless first inning from both sides, the Lady Cougars broke things open in the top of the second with senior Victoria Dunavay’s lead off single and Lacey Higgins moved her over with a single past third. Johnnia Kendrick made the connection for a double to plate Dunavay and Shelby Luther doubled to send Higgins across.
The bats kept ringing with a single from Heather Berry and a sac fly from Gayle Holcomb for an RBI. Eden Bowen’s final RBI single in the inning put the Lady Cougars at 6-0 over the Lady Rams and Higgins’ solo homer in the third moved them to 7-0 but the Vardaman girls hadn’t gotten started yet.
“The first inning or two I think they were shell-shocked,” said Vardaman coach Billy Dill. “Then they got rolling.”
Sydney Huffman doubles to get things going and Madison Bullard’s single scored courtesy runner, Laquita Hatchett, for the Lady Rams first run. Jessica Rodgers singled and Cheyenne McKiney walked and Abby Haire’s fly, combined with a South error sent courtesy runner, Maegan Stroup across the plate. Laci Jo Fugett got the clutch hit with a double to score McKiney and courtesy runner, Lainey Jo Landreth, and Johnna Landreth reached on a walk.
Senior Grace Edmondson’s two RBI rip to the left field fence tied the game and Huffman repeated her double to give the Vardaman girls a one-run lead.
The battle was on in the fifth as Luther’s RBI double tied it back up and Breanna Holley’s RBI double to centerfield regained the Lady Cougars’ lead.
Vardaman’s Stacie Haimes bounced one off the left field fence to score Rodgers and tie the game one more time.
The final inning belonged to the Lady Cougars as Brooke Lilly’s doubled and Kinzi Ellis walked on to set up Higgins’ second homer of the game, this one a three RBI shot over the left field fence.
The Lady Cougars’ defense held the Lady Rams at the plate for a 12-9 win.
Dill said he was pleased with the overall effort from the Lady Rams.
“To score nine runs on South is pretty decent,” Dill said. “Compared to last year (at Houston Classic) we’re a lot better.”
Vardaman 1, Caledonia 3
The Lady Rams dropped their second game, again by a close margin, falling 1-6 to the Lady Confederates of Caledonia.
The Lady Rams began the regular season in South Pontotoc Tuesday and will be back in Houston Thursday. JV plays at 5 p.m. and varsity follows at 6 p.m.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago