Fatal fire near Houlka
HOULKA – A Thursday night fire in Chickasaw County totally destroyed a mobile home and resulted in the death of an elderly woman.
The Houlka Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched north of Houlka at 6:10 p.m. and found heavy smoke and flames coming from the double-wide trailer when they arrived on the scene.
“An elderly woman was found inside and, as with all fire fatalities, we are investigating the exact cause of death,” said Andy Harmon, Chickasaw County Coroner. “At this point everything looks like an accident and we have seen nothing that makes us feel any different.”
The woman has been identified at Carolyn Buggs, 76, of 177 County Road 242.
Harmon said Bugg’s husband had left briefly to go to the grocery and when he returned found the trailer on fire and called 911.
“The trailer was fully involved when we got there,” said Terry Short, Houlka Volunteer Fire Department Fire Chief. “We had our pumper and tanker on the scene and Becker (VFD) sent two pumpers and Thorn (VFD) sent a pumper an two tankers. We got it out quickly because we were told someone was inside.”
Short said firefighters had to pull the electric meter. He said firefighters were on the scene more than two hours.
Short said the exact cause of the fire has not been determined.
“She was found near the door and not near a stove or refrigerator,” said Short. “The trailer was totally destroyed and we are not sure if the fire started in the kitchen or somewhere else.”
Short said he was pleased with the aggressive nature of volunteers fighting the fire.
“This is our first fire fatality in about four years,” said Short. “Things like this bother our guys because they do this to help people. Everybody knows everybody in this community and this hurt our guys and our community.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Group digruntled by principal change April 22, 2016
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- FAFSA Fridays April 27, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers crush Yazoo April 27, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago