Trustees approve changes to trim, doors, etc.
HOULKA – Final construction details and change orders for Wildcat Gym were approved by the Chickasaw County School Board last week.
Trustees have watched their pennies carefully and, as renovation work winds down under budget, decided to approve several change orders, upgrades and additional projects.
“I met with the job superintendent and we went through the building Wednesday,” said Chickasaw School Superintendent, Dr. Betsy Collums. “We asked them to correct some things and saw where we needed to make some minor changes.”
Collums said concerns with paint job quality and emergency lights that were not working were the two major items addressed in the walk-through.
But Collums said she was pleased with the project overall and it appears the gym will be ready for the first basketball game in November.
Trustees approved $4,215 in change orders last week.
• $2,100 to replace baseboard trim around the gym floor.
• $900 to replace doors on the north end of the gym.
• $500 to remove metal door frames at front door.
• $475 to replace emergency lights.
• $240 to add a counter at the rear of the concession area.
Collums said the district was given a price of $10,000 to remove brick above the front door, but trustees declined to do that work.
“The major work has been done and these are just the details,” said Collums. “I’m pleased with where we are on this project and it really does look good in there.”
In other business:
• Trustees approved Mildred Gates to handle custodial duties at the Central Office for $10 per hour.
• Keith Allen was approved as a coaching volunteer to help with football during the 2013-14 school year.
• The district accepted 21 students into Houlka schools from other districts.
• Trustees approved 16 teachers and substitutes to work in the 21st Century Community Learning Center after-school program at $25 per hour. Collums said teachers would work at the Learning Center on an as needed basis for about two hours each day.
• The board approved moving the regular September board meeting to Thursday, Sept. 5 due to the Labor Day holiday.
• Trustees approved cheerleaders to sell Wildcat T-shirts as a fundraiser from Aug. 12-23.