Bennett York Jr.
CALHOUN CITY – Bennett Van York Jr. passed away Tuesday, Aug. 13, 2013, in Calhoun City. He was born Aug. 26, 1965, in Memphis to Dr. Bennett Van York and his wife, Nan Moore York.
He grew up in Hattiesburg and was a graduate of Hattiesburg High School and the University of Mississippi, where he was a member of Sigma Nu fraternity. He was known for his brilliant mind and giving heart. A true gentleman and patriot, he was full of love for those less fortunate and in need. He will be dearly missed by his wife, children, family and many faithful friends.
He worked in real estate development, and among many other projects, was instrumental in the development and operation of an outdoor advertising company and many self-storage projects. He was a member of First Presbyterian Church of Hattiesburg.
He is survived by his wife, Victoria Hopper York of Chicago; daughter, Mary Abigail York of Hattiesburg, whose mother is Sonia Smith York of Hattiesburg; son, Bennett Van York III of Chicago; parents, Dr. and Mrs. Bennett Van York of Hattiesburg; grandmother, Mrs. Paul M. Moore Sr. of Calhoun City; sister, Susan Paige York of Santa Rosa Beach, Fla.; brother, John Tyler York (Charlotte Sonnier York) of Hattiesburg; nephew, Lars Thomas Losee; niece, Ella Nell Losee, of Santa Rosa Beach, Fla.; niece, Anne Moore York of Hattiesburg; and many aunts, uncles and cousins.
He was preceded in death by his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. W.T. York, and Paul M. Moore Sr.
Services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 17, at Lewis Memorial United Methodist Church in Calhoun City. Visitation will be from 1 p.m. to service time. Pryor Funeral Home of Calhoun City is in charge of arrangements.
A celebration of the life of Bennett V. York Jr. will be held on his 48th birthday, Monday, Aug. 26, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Canebrake Country Club in Hattiesburg.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to any of the following organizations: Hub City Humane Society, 95 Jackson Road, Hattiesburg, MS 39402; Aldersgate Mission of Main Street UMC, 712 N. Main St., Hattiesburg, MS 39402; or National Institute of Mental Health, Gift Fund, 6001 Executive Blvd., Room 6101, MSC 9655, Bethesda, MD 20892-9655.
Online condolences can be left at pryorfuneralhome.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- POLICE ROUNDUP: Houston man arrested for fraud. May 21, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago