Tanglefoot Trail opening delayed
The tentative August 17 opening date for the Tanglefoot Trail has been postponed for at least a few more weeks while the contractor completes last minute work along the 44.5-mile route, which runs from Houston, through Pontotoc, to New Albany.
Last week, officials had begun finalizing plans for trail opening ceremonies, but Monday afternoon Three Rivers Planning and Development District officials announced the August 17 opening has been pushed back.
The decision to delay the opening was made after engineers made a final inspection of Tanglefoot Trail last Friday (August 2), said Ronnie Bell, Three Rivers Director of Governmental Functions.
“The engineers have created a punch list of things that still need to be completed by the contractor (Glasgow Construction) and they’re just not going to have everything ready by August 17,” Bell said.
“It’s going to be sooner, rather than later, and hopefully maybe by the end of the month, Bell said.
“The engineers will monitor progress on the punch list and the board will make a decision on the opening date and ceremonies.”
Officials stressed that the trail remains closed until further notice.
Planning is underway for ceremonies in Houston and New Albany, the four whistle stops of Algoma, Ecru, Ingomar and New Houlka, all culminating with a grand opening finale at the trail in downtown Pontotoc.
Tanglefoot Trail runs along the abandoned tracks of the old GM&O railroad line.
Tanglefoot Trail is now owned by the GM&O Rails-to-Trails Recreational District of North Mississippi.
Three Rivers is the administrative and fiscal agent for the district.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- HLES Performs Nursery Rhymes and Possibilities May 22, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Houston Solar Car honored by Legislature May 29, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago