PHEBA – Emmett Bigham, 82, died Wednesday, Aug. 7, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center-Tupelo. He was born Aug. 13, 1930, in Eupora to Ethel Powers and Norman Egbert Bigham. He was a retired superintendent of the canning department of Bryan Foods for 36 years and was of the Baptist faith. He was an avid Ole Miss fan. He enjoyed hunting, fishing and farming, and he loved and cared for his family. He was retired with 22 years of service from the Mississippi Army National Guard as 1st SGT at the 223rd Headquarters. He was a veteran of Army Air Corp, having served during WWII and later with the National Guard.
Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Calvert Funeral Home Chapel with the Rev. Terry Rhodes officiating. Burial will follow in Pheba Cemetery, with full military honors. His grandsons, SGT Johnathan Bigham and SSG Lydale Bigham will present the flag. Calvert Funeral Home of West Point is in charge of arrangements.
Survivors include his wife whom he married on Dec. 5, 1953, in Webster County, Peggy Jean Boyette Bigham of Pheba; two daughters, Barbara Philips (Lamar) of Van Vleet and Brenda Washington (Bob) of Pheba; four sons, Lynn Bigham (Louise) of Pheba, Royce Bigham (Linda) of West Point, Dale Bigham (Angel), and Tenny Bigham, all of Pheba; one sister, Evie Ulmer of West Point; 25 grandchildren; 46 great-grandchildren; two great-great-grandchildren; and a host of nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his son, Emmett R. “Sonny” Bigham; two brothers, Ralph Bigham and Ellis Egbert Bigham; and three sisters, Virginia Bigham, Lydia Reed and Vinita Oswalt.
Pallbearers will be Will Phillips, Dwayne Bigham, Jason Bigham, Gary Bigham, Lamar Bigham, Nicholas Bigham, James Cohea, Michael Cohea, Robert Washington, Joby Washington, Lydale Bigham, Johnathan Bigham and Samuel Bigham.
Honorary pallbearers will be Wayne Brown, Truman Fisher, Jimmy Wilbourn, Dr. Christopher Croot, Starkville Cancer Care nurses and staff, NMMC Home Health, NMMC Hospice and former co-workers at Bryan Foods.
Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Friday at the funeral home.
Memorials may be made to Pheba Cemetery Care Fund, P.O. Box 5, Pheba, MS 39775.
Friends may leave an online condolence at www.calvertfuneralhome.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Making a difference every day April 26, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago