Midnite madness returns to Topper Field
The Hilltoppers just can’t wait to get back on the field.
The return of Midnight Madness for the third year is sparking a new community event as the Houston Touchdown Club is promoting a tailgate and spirit rally to support the team.
“There have been a good many people in the stands watching the past two years,” said Leigh Ann Howell of the Madness practice. “We want to see that many more come out and tailgate.”
Tailgates and tents will be set up behind the home stands by the Houston School of Science and Technology and the “spirit zone” will open at 10:30 p.m.
“If people want to come set up their tent earlier in the day, that’s fine,” Howell said. “We want everyone to get invovled, the banks, businesses, churches and all other groups.”
The group also plans to set up a wide-screen and show the highlight video from the very successful 2012 season for public viewing.
There is no charge for tailgate spaces and any group can set up, but Howell reminds participants of the first rule of tailgating.
“Bring enough to share,” Howell laughed. “Bring knick-knacks and food. If you don’t have a tent, bring something and drop it off under someone else’s tent.”
The idea is promote a family-friendly, community event that supports the high school football program.
“Show this team you care about them,” Howell said. “It really means a lot to these boys.”
Time to hit
HHS football coach, William Cook, said the team is always ready to get on the field in full pads and the Midnight Madness event adds to the excitement.
“A lot of time (at full-pad practice) people will show up to see the kids hitting,” Cook said. “This (tailgate party) is a way to add some excitment to Midnight Madness.”
Cook said the team feels the support from the crowds who come to watch them in practice drills.
“This community has been behind the team and we want to keep that rolling,” Cook said. “This is the first time they will be in full uniform. It gives it more of a game atmosphere, playing in front of people.”
The party in the parking lot will begin around 10 p.m. and the Hilltoppers will hit the field one minute after midnite.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings April 25, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago