Griffin hurls no hitter
By Will Nations
Starkville Daily News/reprinted with permission
PHEBA – It is always nice to pick up a win on the first game of a season, it becomes even better win the pitcher hurls six innings of hitless softball.
That’s what Hebron Christian’s freshman pitcher Brooke Griffin did against the Jackson Academy Lady Raiders. Along with an offensive attack that plated ten runs, the Lady Eagles routed Jackson Academy 10-1 in six innings of play.
“You know I’ve learned to count what you can get,” remarked coach Cass Tapley about Griffin’s no-hitter, “You can have a real pretty game and lose it, but we’re good, she and the pitching staff will get better each week.”
Though not the cleanest no-no, Griffin showed complete dominance during the early goings of the contest from the circle. With her first three innings of the start, Griffin fanned five Lady Raider batters and blanked Jackson Academy in the run and hit departments. Despite giving up a run on a wild pitch in the top of the fourth, Griffin remained calm in the circle and was picked up by a solid defense behind her that committed no errors during the six inning contest. Griffin’s final line at the end of the tilt was one earned run, no hits and seven strike outs while placing five runners on the bags because of walks.
Meanwhile at the plate, Griffin was also a highlight continuing her outstanding night on the diamond. Griffin collected two of the seven Hebron base knocks with one single and an inside the park home run that scored two runs for the Lady Eagles. Griffin led the team with three RBI’s.
Fellow freshman Rebekah Falkner had two doubles on Friday evening and helped Hebron plate two runs with her bat. Also having an impact at the plate with hits were Holly Hudson, Bryn Latham, and Victoria Ferguson, all three collected singles. Latham collected two RBI’s on the night.
“I guess we really only had base running errors,” said Tapley about the overall performance by the Lady Eagles, “I am pleased with them, a few things we need to clean up though. We hit like I expected them to hit. It is going to be hard to hit well on the first game. Now the competition steps up, we will too.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Making a difference every day April 26, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago