Showing that Topper spirit!
HOUSTON – “Everybody’s here so everybody yell,” was the chant that rang through the cafeteria and gymnasium of Houston Middle School last week as the annual mini-cheer camp was in full swing.
Girls from ages three through completion of sixth grade split into two divisions, with the younger girls meeting in the morning and the older youth in the afternoon.
The event is sponsored by the Houston High School cheer squad and is a fundraising effort that benefits the cheerleader’s general fund.
“It helps pay for uniforms, competitions and camps, things like that,” said cheer sponsor Lakin Hillhouse.
The camp, along with other fundraising efforts throughout the year, generate revenue for the program that is not otherwise covered in the subsidy allotment from the school district.
Girls rotated through stations for cheering, dance, stunts, tumbling, jumps and crafts and the fee included a snack each day and T-shirt at the end of the clinic.
Hillhouse is beginning her first year as cheer sponsor after working with Lori Kilgore in the program last year, but is familiar with the cheer program and mini-camp from her tenure as an HHS cheerleader.
“This is just fun,” Hillhouse said of mini-camp and working with the younger girls. “We’ve all had a great time.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- EDITORIAL: Tourism Tax Facts May 19, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago