Houston FFA shows well at State
STARKVILLE – The Houston High School FFA team headed to Starkville April 5 to participate in State competition on the campus of Mississippi State University and had a great showing.
More than 500 FFA members making up 138 junior and senior level teams in 14 different Career Development events attended the annual State Contest day participating in competition evens designed to test their technical knowledge, skill level, leadership and teamwork abilities.
Areas of competition included Agriculture Mechanization and Technology, Agronomy, Arc Welding, Dairy Cattle Evaluation, Farm Business Management, Floriculture, Food Science and Technology, Forestry,Landscape ad Nursery Operations, Milk Quality Evaluation, Meats Evaluation, Poultry Evaluation, Tool Identification and Tractor Operation and Maintenance. FFA chapters were allowed to enter only one team in each event area.
The Jr. Dairy Evaluation team and Jr. Meats Evaluation team both took top honors at State Champions and four other participating teams placed in the top ten in their categories of competition.
* State Champion, Jr. Dairy Evaluation team, James Thompson (high individual, Kobe Gunn, Reggie Graham and Byranna Grice
* State Champion, Jr. Meats Evaluation team, Alexus Hindman, LaErica Brownlee and Jarvis Robertson
* Second place, Agronomy, Jacob Ingram (high individual), Carley Bevels, Tristen Laufenberg and Anna Gann
* Fourth place, Floriculture, Brittany Baynham, Kelsey Houston, Keturah Williams and Courtney Yates
* Fifth place, Farm Business Management, Lindsay Beveles, Mirando Long, Savanna Rhodes and Jeffery Verrell
* Ninth place, Rosetry, Chapman Boyer, Jacob Bridgman, Will Livingston and Cory McDaniel
And more awards
At the Mississippi FFA State Convention June 3-5 at MSU, the Houston chapter received several indivdual and group awards and recognitions.
The Houston chapter received a National Chapter award and Jacob Bridgman received an Ag Sales Proficiency award. Chapman Boyer received a Veterinary Science Proficiency award and also recived his FFA State Degree.
Anna Gann, Savanna Rhodes and Will Livingston represented the Houston chapter as delegates to State Convention and James Thompson was elected FFA Jr. State Reporter for the 2013-14 school year.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Making a difference every day April 26, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago