Blanton scholarships presented at Floy Dyer Manor
By Omega Blanton
HOUSTON – No drum rolls, no clash of cymbals, no resplendent strains of “Pomp and Circumstance” rang through the halls of Floy Dyer Manor on Friday, April 29, 2013, as four Houston High School graduates entered room 440 at 3 p.m. to receive their “Legacy of Love” scholarships in the amount of $500 from retired Houston High School Business teacher, Omega Castles Blanton, now a resident of Floy Dyer Manor.
Sixty people have received schoarships over the past 24 years, the realization of a dream come true.
The four scholarships this year went to the following graduates:
* Emmitt Dendy, in honor of his mother, Ann Dendy, who was his guest. Emmitt is already enrolled and attending Itawamba Community College, majoring in Physical Therapy.
* Chelsea Gray, in memory of her grandmother, Marlene Blanton Brown, and in honor of her great-grandmother, Ethie Johnson Blanton, both of whom worked at the Houston State Bank for many years. Chelsea plans to attend the University of Southern Mississippi and become a nurse.
* Alex Harmon, in memory of his uncle, Casey Harmon, who lost his life in the line of duty with the police department. Alex plans to spend his working years in law enforcement, beginning his training this fall at Delta State University. His mother, Robyn Harmon, was his guest.
* Kyle Wilson, in memory of his grandfather, Douglas Love, agriculture teacher at Houston High School for a number of years. His guests included his mother, Donna Wilson, sister Hanna Wilson and her son. Kyle will be attending Itawamba Community College with turf management as his major.
It was a congenial group who disbanded to continue their separate ways following a closing prayer by Omega Blanton.
These graduates may well remember, “To find what one is fitted to do and to secure an opportunity to do it is the key to happiness.”
They were encouraged to choose their friends carefully because they become their family after they leave the family that has nurtured them to this point – God given parents.
As they venture forward they must always remember that, “A man’s reach must always exceed his grasp, else what’s a heaven for?”
The fact that all four recipients and their guest were present on short notice demonstrates that they readily accept their responsibility.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Hilltoppers top Corinth May 6, 2016
- Hilltoppers dominate Commodores May 6, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago