Houston FFA at Envirothon competition
OXFORD – The Houston FFA Envirothon Team competed in the North District Competition March 26 at the University of Mississippi Field Station in Oxford.
After intense training, these teams competed in the district competition and the team placed third at the North District Contest.
Team members include Lindsay Bevels, Jacob Bridgman, Anna Gann, Cory McDaniel and Savanna Rhodes. The team was coached by Houston FFA Advisor Karen Cook.
The Mississippi Envirothon, a program of the Mississippi Association of Conservation Districts, is a hands-on natural resource competition designed to challenge students in grades nine through twelve to explore the natural world around them – testing their knowledge in the categories of aquatics, forestry, soils, wildlife and current issues.
“Envirothon is an excellent program for high school students,” said Bevels. “We are tested on our knowledge of the environment, but also get the chance to check out some vocational interests and have fun at the same time.”
Through local soil and water conservation districts, volunteers and resource personnel from state and federal natural resource agencies and organizations worked with educators to share their environmental expertise and get the teams ready for this competition. These resource professionals were on hand to assist with testing and judging at the area competition and will be assisting with the statewide competition as well.
The Mississippi Envirothon is funded by a grant from the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago