Trustees eye Middle School driveway
HOUSTON – It has nothing to do with educating students but it could be a major expense for the Houston School District next year.
The Houston School Board of Trustees heard a proposal from Todd Kilgore, representing K-N-K Construction, on possible options to fix a crumbling driveway in front of the Houston Middle School that has frustrated parents and school employees for more than two years.
“I asked him to give us some options on the problem we’ve got,” said Board President Bart Munlin. “The bids we have gotten are extremely high. We are just looking for viable options.”
Kilgore’s proposal was presented with a square-foot price and he said it could be done in sections.
“The problem is the gray soil in this area and the fact you have a saturated base that shifts and will continue to break up and get worse,” said Kilgore. “What I propose to do is dig it out, then dig down 18-inches, put in a foot of crushed subsoil that we will compact and top with six-inches of concrete.”
Kilgore offered an estimated price of $7.50 a square-foot using fiberous concrete and $8.50 for reinforced concrete. The Middle School driveway is roughly 200-yards long and approximately 20-feet wide. The district has been quoted a price of $125,000 to fix the driveway.
Kilgore said no concrete is permanent and, while he offered no guarantees, he urged the board to look at parking lots at Franklin Corporation for examples of the fiberous concrete.
“They have 80,000-pound trucks come in there and that is way over what you would see on this driveway,” said Kilgore. “You do have some drainage problems that need to be addressed and that is probably a second project.”
State law requires projects of more than $50,000 to have an engineer or architect. Engineering and architect fees can be up to 15-percent to a project’s cost.
Trustee Carol Byrne suggested the district look at repairing a spot just south of the Middle School that holds water and that has been nicknamed “The Pit.” She said trustees could then look at the work and determine if this was the direction that wanted to go.
Trustee Daniel Heeringa asked Assistant Superintendent Chad Spence to get measurements of the driveway and also a list of drainage concerns with the Middle School driveway.
The district initially got estimates to fix the Middle School driveway in June 2011, but costs and the fact the project would have to be done while school was in session delayed the work.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Tourism Tax Facts May 19, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago