Franklin matches Solar Car fundraising efforts
HOUSTON – The Houston Solar Race Team has spent the last year hosting fundraising events and soliciting sponsors for their upcoming race and has met their budget goals.
The team hosted several events and the Sundancer Steering Committee sent out the call for sponsors and donations and received some extra help from a local business.
Franklin Corporation pledged to match funds raised in the local community up to $10,000 and the community rose to the challenge. Hank Franklin presented the check to team member Kristen Marsh Monday, rounding out the budget for the race from Texas to Los Angeles next week.
“We’re fortunate and glad that we can have a small part of what goes into it,” said Franklin, of the 12-time National Championship solar racing program and the team members that keep bringing home the trophies. “The program is so successful and it’s an example that good things can be accomplished.”
Marsh said the response from the community was very positive.
“This trip could not be possible without the support of our community and steering committee,” Marsh said. “It makes us feel proud we live in Houston and happy that we can represent our town.”
The Houston Solar Race Team is comprised of students from Houston High School and those who utilize the Houston School of Science and Technology and is under the direction of instructors Keith Reese, Anita Ellison and Donna Turman. The program is alloted $3,000 annual funding through the district budget and team members, along with steering committee members, work throughout the year to acquire additional funding for events like the annual Solar Challenge.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houlka streamlines police accounting May 18, 2016
- Toppers commit four errors in loss May 22, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago