WEST POINT – Merlaine Young Nichols, 96, passed away on Sunday, July 14, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center, in Tupelo. She was born July 10, 1917, in Nettleton in Lee County to Winnie Isabella Coggin and Henry Juette Young. She was a homemaker and a member of First United Methodist Church. She loved to sew and shared her talent for many years doing private seamstress work and repairing clothing items. She loved to cook and was an excellent country cook. She married Walter Lee Nichols on Sept. 25, 1938, in Egypt. Had she lived until September; they would have been married for 75 years.
Services will be at 10 a.m. Wednesday, July 17, at First United Methodist Church with the Rev. Jeff Shannon officiating. Burial will follow in West Point Memorial Garden Cemetery. Calvert Funeral Home of West Point is in charge of arrangements.
Survivors include her husband, Walter Lee Nichols; one son, Ralph Nichols (Priscilla) of West Point; two grandchildren, Douglas Nichols and Angela Knowles (Alan); and two great-grandchildren, Ember Knowles and Lyndsey Knowles; her great-grandson, Thailer Nichols.
She was preceded in death by three sisters and three brothers.
Pallbearers will be Donnie Alford, Eddie Alford, Richard Milstead, Frank George, Mal Young and Harry Stevens. Honorary pallbearers will be North Mississippi Medical Center- West Point ER doctors and staff ,and North Mississippi Medical Center-Tupelo CCU doctors and staff.
Memorials may be made to First United Methodist Church, P.O. Box 293, West Point, MS 39773.
Visitation will be from 5 until 7 p.m. today at Calvert Funeral Home. The body will lie at the church from 9:30 a. m. until service time.
Friends may leave an online condolence at www.calvertfuneralhome.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
aberdeen amory arrest Baptist Baseball basketball Bruce business Calhoun City Calhoun County chickasaw Chickasaw County chickasaw journal Christmas city County crime East Webster Economic Development education Eupora featured fire floyd football houlka Houston ICC ingram Jones Mantee Mississippi Money Moore MSU Okolona police Pontotoc school schools Smith Tupelo Vardaman west point Woodland
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago