Reeves, Earnest head to State meet
Austin Reeves and Cassie Earnest, both members of 4H Shooting Sports will compete with other youth from around the state during the two-day meet July 12-13.
Both Reeves and Earnest have been involved with shooting and hunting since they were young children, but joined 4H only two years ago.
“I have been shooting since I was five,” Earnest said. “I am very exicted to go and I would love to learn new things.”
Reeves just returned from the national meet in Nebraska where he competed in .22 rifle. He has opted to switch to shotgun for the state meet.
Earnest will compete in .22 rifle.
The 4H Shooting Sports program has seen large growth in the last several years and has incorporated partnerships with local law enforcement officials as coaches and trainers. Chickasaw County Regional Correction Facility Warden Brand Huffman said the opportunity to interact with children and youth brings positive connotations.
“If we can meet them there (on the firing range) it cuts down on the chances of us meeting them later,” Huffman said.
Chickasaw County Extension Director Scott Cagle said the new shooting season will begin about the time school goes back into session, but youth can sign up at any time to join the program.
“Any youth from eight to 18 can come by the Extension Office and sign up with Angie (Abrams, Program Coordinator),” Cagle said.
“I do wish and hope more kids join us and shoot with us,” Earnest said.
The Extension Office is located on Lee Horn Drive between Gann’s Clothing and Houston Upper Elementary School. For information, call 456-4269.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago