LOCAL FOCUS: Gann’s Clothing
HOUSTON – Longtime locals will remember when it was as a garage with Gann’s Clothing and Sportings Goods selling clothes, boots and stuff on the side.
And while cars are no longer repaired and fishing tackle is no longer sold there, Gann’s Clothing still sells many of the same brands it did in 1956.
“Momma and daddy started it all on this spot a long time ago,” said Charlotte Birmingham, the Gann’s daughter. “I grew up in this shop. My kids have grown up here, too.”
The store has been a key part of Houston’s retail foundation for more than 50 years. Elizabeth Gann took over the store in 1972 and still works the counter.
“Many of the people I sold to years ago now bring their children and grand-children in here to shop,” said Mrs. Elizabeth. “It’s neat watching these kids grow up and wear clothes from our store at the different ages of their life.”
Gann’s may be best known for its children’s clothes and carries a wide variety of makes and styles. True to the store’s outdoor roots, the boys’ line features togs in the earth tones of nature. Girls’ fashions are noted for being bright and colorful.
The store features Mud Pie children’s clothes and specializes in little girl dresses.
“We have always carried the full line of Carhart jackets and coveralls,” said Birmingham. “We have a lot of sizes. We can also measure you and order something for you that is comfortable and lasts forever.”
Gann’s also sell Rocky and Georgia boots that look good on the street and do the job at work or in the woods. New Balance and Alegria round out footwear for the lady of the house.
Gann’s is also the location for all styles of Levi jeans in a variety of different colors.
“We go to market every spring and fall and do a good job of keeping up with the latest styles,” said Birmingham. “We also have accessories from belts and scarfs to purses and jewelry.”
And you never know when something new shows up in the store.
“We’ve been around here a long time,” said Birmingham. “But we have new styles and items come in every day.
“We have always urged people to shop with us before they go somewhere else,” she added. “They might just be surprises what they find here in Houston.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago