CALHOUN CITY – John Quincy Aven, 91, died Tuesday, July 9, 2013, at his home. He was born Feb. 3, 1922, in Big Creek to John Q. Aven Sr. and Alice Litten Aven.
He was a retired U.S. Postal mail carrier. He was a retired sergeant and a veteran of World War II in the Army 79th Infantry. He was a member of Calhoun City First Baptist Church and a life member of the American Legion. He was a member of MS X POW, D.A.V., Masons and the Joy Group of First Baptist Church. He worked with the Republican Party. He loved horses and bird dogs.
Survivors include his wife, Syble Parker Aven of Calhoun City; a son, David (Kathy) Aven of Fayetteville, Ga.; a stepdaughter, Billy Jean (James) Webb of Oxford; two stepsons, Buddy Dye and Marion Long, both of Calhoun City; a sister, Lillian Young of Columbus; eight grandchildren, seven great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents.
Services will be at 11 a.m. Friday, July 12, at Pryor Funeral Home Chapel in Calhoun City with full military honors. The Rev. Jimmy Vance and the Rev. Mike Smith will officiate. Burial will be in the Calhoun City Cemetery.
Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Thursday, July 11, at the funeral home.
Online condolences can be left at Pryorfuneralhome.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- Rain doesn’t stop Relay May 6, 2016
- Hilltoppers top Corinth May 6, 2016
- Hilltoppers dominate Commodores May 6, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago