Houlka names principal
Seago, 45, was named by the Chickasaw County School Board as the high school’s new leader and has 10-years of administrative experience in districts across Northeast Mississippi.
“He was very knowledgeable in financial matters and knew a lot about the computer software we use,” said Chickasaw County Superintendent Dr. Betsy Collums. “He has experience working for school districts both larger and smaller than ours.
“We think he will bring a lot of good ideas to the district and knows how to help us with our test scores,” said Collums. “We also felt his personality and experience would make him a good fit for a school district the size of Chickasaw County.”
Seago has been an elementary school principal at Falkner and worked in administration at the high school. He has also worked for the Kossuth School District and Walnut School District.
Seago will fill the post vacated by Michael Gillespie who resigned as principal of Houlka Attendance Center in June to become principal of Bruce High School. The board approved Gillespie’s resignation and the resignation of his wife Lillie Gillespie at their June 27 meeting.
Seago will also serve as a purchasing agent for the district on items up to $50,000.
In other business:
• The Chickasaw County School District saw the cost of insurance almost double this year and voted last week to accept insurance priced by Bob Scott and Tabb Insurance to cover property and general liability.
Scott said districts across the state have seen premiums go up in the wake of several tornadoes.
Last year Chickasaw County schools paid $18,524 for general liability/automobile/crime and $14,538 for building and property insurance.
This year the district will pay $41,079 for general liability and $28,678 for property, an increase of $36,695.
The district will begin hammering out its 2013-14 budget this month.
• Trustees were also briefed on construction and renovations at the Houlka Gym.
A pre-construction walk-through saw the district add a coiling counter shutter to the concession stand and approve replacing metal panels behind the top row of bleachers at a cost of approximately $7,000. The funds will be taken from the project’s contingency fund
• Chickasaw County accepted the transfer of three students from the Houston School District.
• Trustees discussed propane quotes opened by the district last week. The district sent bid requests to several gas distributors but only received one quote from Scott Propane out of Starkville.
• The board approved sports admission prices for the 2023-14 school year. Admission to Wildcat sporting events will cost $5 at all venues and athletic events.
• The board approved hiring Mary Margaret Carnes as an English teacher for the 2013-14 school year.
• Trustees voted to pay monthly claims and bills.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago