COLUMBUS – Park Coleman Stevens, 20, died suddenly Wednesday, July 3, 2013.
Visitation will be held Saturday, July 6, 2013, from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Mount Vernon Church, where he was a member, and funeral service will follow at 1:30 p.m. with Bro. Josh Daffern officiating. Interment will be in Asbury Cemetery at Van Vleet, with Lowndes Funeral Home of Columbus directing.
Park was characterized from birth as a fun loving child who was a friend to all and stranger to none. An offensive lineman for University of Mississippi, he was known off the field as a gentle giant with big crushing bear hugs. He was never afraid to say, “I Love You.” He fell in love with sports at an early age, playing basketball, baseball and football. He dreamed of playing SEC football and played the sport at Oak Hill Academy, New Hope High School and East Central Community College. During his senior year of high school, he was named a Max Emfinger All American and participated in the Louisiana/Mississippi All Star Game. Park’s dream was realized when he was invited to walk on at the University of Mississippi in the spring semester of 2013. His dedication, hard work and perseverance earned him numerous reps in the 2013 Grove Bowl. He was known as humble, caring and loyal to teammates and many friends. His heart extended in serving others through Joy Prom, the Boys and Girls Club, and Special Olympics.
Park is survived by his parents, Dean and Gail Stevens of Columbus; brother, Terry Dale (Pam) Cruse of St. Louis, Mo.; sister, Tina Beth (Justin) Brown of Columbus; three nieces, Maddie, Emma and Abbie Cruse, and one nephew, Parker Brown; grandparents, Jeannette Stevens of Van Vleet, and Harvey and Celia Fisher of Okolona; uncle, Ashley (Katie) Stevens of Columbus; three aunts, Donna Loftin of Aberdeen, Tina (Robby) Scholtes of Starkville and Mary Beth (Jimmy) Wilkerson of Madison; as well as seven cousins, Anna Katherine (Josh) King, Ashley Cole Loftin, Beck and Sarah Beth Scholtes, Laura and Thomas Stevens, and Evans Wilkerson. He was preceded in death by his grandfather, Harold Stevens.
Pallbearers will be Robert Conyers, Preston Davis, Darius Petty, Tyler Mt. Joy, JoJo Reeves, Frank Richardson, Ben Still, Evans Swindall, Zak Thrasher and Tyler Warnat. Honorary pallbearers will be Cole Edwards, Laura Stevens, Thomas Stevens, Beck Scholtes and Evans Wilkerson; 2013 Ole Miss football team and coaches; 2011-2012 ECCC football team and coaches; 2010 New Hope football team and coaches; and the Tombigbee Muckdogs Little League baseball team.
Memorials may be made to Mt. Vernon Joy Prom, 100 N. Mt. Vernon Road, Columbus, MS 39702.
A complete obituary will be published in the Wednesday, July 10, Chickasaw Journal.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- Moore signs with Miss. Delta CC May 30, 2016
- Houlka presents summer programs May 30, 2016
- CARA CHISOLM: There is a reason for Memorial Day May 29, 2016
- Houston Solar Car honored by Legislature May 29, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago