Highway Patrol identifies Chickasaw County accident victim
The Highway Patrol said in a statement released yesterday that 20-year-old Park Stevens of Columbus was killed when his pickup collided with the rear of an 18-wheeler at Egypt Road and U.S. Highway 45A around 3 p.m. Wednesday. Stevens was pronounced dead at the scene.
The accident occurred about 3 p.m. at the intersection of Egypt Road and Highway 45A in eastern Chickasaw County when a 1996 green Peterbuilt tractor trailer driven by 56 year old Charlie Rowell of Okolona pulled onto the Hwy and was traveling south when he was hit in the rear by a 2008 Maroon Chevrolet Silverado driven by Park.
Stevens was not restrained and pronounced dead at the scene by Chickasaw County Coroner Andy Harmon. Rowell was restrained and suffered no injuries.
The patrol says the accident is under investigation.
Ole Miss officials say Stevens joined the Rebels in the spring as a walk-on, transferring to Ole Miss after two seasons at East Central Community College. Stevens went through spring drills as a backup offensive tackle
Coach Hugh Freeze posted on the Ole Miss Facebook page that team’s thoughts and prayers are with the Stevens’ family and friends.
This is the second fatal accident at the Hwy 45A/Egypt Road intersection in two months.
A multi-vehicle accident Wednesday night May 15 killed the driver of an 18-wheeler and sent several area residents to the hospital. In that accident a vehicle attempted to cross the intersection, was struck by a vehicle and when the 18-wheeler attempted to avoid the accident it overturned, struck both vehicles and killing the driver of the semi. That accident sent five people to the hospital, including a six-month-old infant.
Services for Park, who had relatives in Okolona, will be Saturday with burial in Van Vleet. A complete obituary can be found on the Obituary Page of the Chickasaw Journal.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago