One person killed in Chickasaw County wreck
HOUSTON – One of the first fatalities of the Mississippi Fourth of July holiday was reported in Chickasaw County Wednesday afternoon.
The accident occurred about 3 p.m. at the intersection of Egypt Road and Highway 45A in eastern Chickasaw County when a southbound pickup slammed into the rear wheels of an 18-wheeler that was attempting to cross the four-lane.
Mississippi Highway Patrol Cpl. Chris Turnipseed said the accident killed the driver of the pickup but the driver of the semi was not injured. Turnipseed said the two drivers were the lone occupants of their trucks.
Turnipseed said the name of the deceased was not being released pending notification of next of kin.
“The driver of the pickup was killed on impact and it took a while to extricate the driver from the pickup,” said Turnipseed. “Traffic in the area was blocked for about an hour.”
Turnipseed said the incident is under investigation by the Mississippi Highway Patrol and more information would be released as soon as possible.
This is the second fatal accident at this intersection in two months.
A multi-vehicle accident Wednesday night May 15 killed the driver of an 18-wheeler and sent several area residents to the hospital.
In that accident Cpl. Turnipseed said a west-bound black, 2001 Nissan Maxima driven by 19-year-old Keana Brown, from Nettleton, was traveling west on Egypt Road and experienced a mechanical issue as it attempted to cross US 45 Alt., stalling in the south bound lanes. A white, 1999 Honda Accord driven by Alisha Hunter, 28, from West Point was traveling south on Hwy. 45 and struck the Maxima.
“The Accord came to rest on the shoulder of the highway after the collision,” said Turnipseed. “A south-bound red, 2000 Freightliner driven by a 58 year old male from Nacogdoches, Texas was attempting to avoid the Maxima and overturned.”
Turnipseed said the Freightliner then collided with both the Maxima and the Accord.
“The driver of the Freightliner was pronounced dead at the scene by the Chickasaw County Coroner,” said Turnipseed. “Ms. Hunter, the driver of the Accord, was transported to NMMC for treatment of moderate injuries.”
Turnipseed said Brown and three other passengers, including the six-month-old were driven by a privately owned vehicle to Pioneer Medical Center in Aberdeen.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- HLES Performs Nursery Rhymes and Possibilities May 22, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Houston Solar Car honored by Legislature May 29, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago