When I grow up
HOUSTON – Some children and youth struggle with their plans for adulthood, but Tyler Thomas has already set his cap for the future.
Thomas, 7, states emphatically he wants to be a policeman when he grows up and has already made friends on the force in Houston.
“Every time he sees us, he’s just fascinated,” said Houston police officer Larry Mims. “If we see him at WalMart, he inspects our uniforms, belt and all. He’s checking out everything.”
Mims and fellow officer, Robert Ivy, both drove the Headstart bus when Thomas was a pre-school student and feel that may be what sparked his original interest in law enforcement, but Thomas is pretty sure of his reasons for wanting to pursue a career on the force.
“Because you get to chase the other people, the bad people,” Thomas said.
“And you get to help people,” reminded Mims.
Thomas’ choice of police departments to join is clearly Houston.
“Yep,” Thomas said.
His mother, Robin, said he’s already making sacrifices for his career. She took Tyler to Tupelo, heading for Chuck E. Cheese’s, when they made a detour by Teacher’s Pet and Tyler found a police officer’s uniform he just had to have.
“I told him if we buy the uniform, it means we aren’t going to Chuck E. Cheese,” Robin said. “He wasn’t studying Chuck E. Cheese one bit.”
Thomas made the decision to follow his dream and purchase the uniform and couldn’t wait to get back home to show his friends and fellow officers, Mims and Ivy.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago