Houston seeks new police officer
HOUSTON – Houston is a nice, quiet, safe little town and city leaders want to keep it that way.
The Houston Board of Aldermen has voted to advertise for a new police officer and hopes to have that person hired this summer.
“Hiring police officers is one of the most important things we do,” said Voyles. “Nothing stops crime like seeing a policeman patrolling a neighborhood.”
Voyles said the post is a full-time position and requires being certified by the Mississippi Law Enforcement Academy and must pass both a background check and drug test. The department is also looking for a part-time officer to round out the roster.
“We are trying to find someone who has an interest in youth and would be willing to help us start some programs to reduce juvenile crime,” said Voyles. “It is a patrol position and they will be out in the community and responding to calls every day.”
Voyles said the details and requirements can be obtained by contacting the police department during regular business hours at 456-5065. He said resumes and forms must be mailed to Houston City Hall by June 26.
Voyles said women are being urged to apply for the job.
“We are willing to send a candidate to the Police Academy under certain conditions and if we feel they will stay around here,” said Voyles. “What happens with smaller departments is we train someone and then they leave us when they can get a job with a bigger town.”
Houston currently has nine patrol officers, an investigator, two dispatchers and Voyles on the force.
Voyles the department will still be down one position after this hire.
“It’s not easy to get qualified and certified policemen to come and work in Houston,” said Voyles. “This would be a good job for a local person who want to start a career in law enforcement and who knows Houston.”
Voyles said the physical requirements of the department and the Police Academy wash out many applicants.
The post requires a high school diploma or equivalent, a clean driving record and be able to operate and use police vehicles and equipment.
“We see more crime in the summer and would like to hire immediately, or at least get their training started,” said Voyles. “The same qualifications are required for the part-time position, too.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Okolona celebrates graduation May 20, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago