COLLINSVILLE – Bennie Faye Wood Keller, 78, passed away Saturday, June 29, 2013, at her home. She was born June 27, 1935, in West Point to Lester Mayhall Thayer and Benjamin Rex Wood. She was a librarian for the Carnegie and Bryan Public Libraries in West Point for 47 years and was of the Baptist Faith. She was a 1953 honor graduate of West Point High School. She went to work at Carnegie Library in 1954 and worked 47 years before she retired. She worked 30 years of that time for Mrs. Esther Pippen in the library, who was like family to her. She loved people and all those that frequented the library. She moved to Collinsville after retiring to be near her daughter and family and had nine happy retirement years. She married James Lewis Keller on March 7, 1953, in West Point.
Services will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday, July 3, at Calvert Funeral Home Chapel with Bro. Alan Garbutt officiating. Burial will follow in Memorial Garden Cemetery West Point.
Survivors include her husband of 60 years, James L. Keller of Collinsville; one daughter, Janice Bryant (Jody) of Meridian; one grandson, Dr. Joe H. Bryant III ( fiance’, Tira Adams) of Mt. Juliet, Tenn.; one stepsister, Almarita Clark (Doug) of West Point; two nieces, Joyce Thompson (Dr. Don) of Florence, Ala., and Joe’l Thompson of Birmingham, Ala.; two nephews, Jack Clement (Dawn) of Florence, Ala., and J. C. Clement III (Patsy) Belmont; and a special cousin, Amelia Ginn of Golden.
She was preceded in death by her parents; and her sister, Alvalene Clement.
Pallbearers will be Wayne Plunkett, Earl Sanders, Joe Pat Lannon, James Fowler, Bill Ladd and Billy Harmon. Honorary pallbearers will be Caradine Young, Kenny Dill, Dr. John D. Voss, Dr. Jimmy Moore, Tom Rice, Ann Sanders, Maria Lebron, Billy and Jimmie Avent, Susan Punkett, Mike and Ada Booker, Ester Pippen, Jimmie Ivy, Gordon Pettit, Rusty Adams, Gay Joyner, U.G and Frances Booker, Maudine Fowler, Maurice Boswell, Bobby Lannon, Jo Beth and Reggie Beech, Ed and Faye Curtiss and the Class of 1953 West Point High School.
Memorials may be made to American Cancer Society, P. O. Box 8217, Jackson, MS 39284.
Visitation is 1 to 2 p.m. Wednesday at Calvert Funeral Home.
Friends may leave an online condolence at www.calvertfuneralhome.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Tourism Tax Facts May 19, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago