Douglas ‘Buddy” Griggs
WEST POINT – Douglas R. “Buddy” Griggs, 65, passed away Friday, June 28, 2013, at USA Medical Center, in Mobile, Ala. He was born Jan. 20, 1948, in Monroe County, to Odele Garrett Griggs and Rufus Woodrow Griggs.
He was a member of First United Methodist Church and was presently attending Strong United Methodist Church where he grew up. He graduated from Aberdeen High School. He started Griggs Car Quest in August 1977. He enjoyed his farm working with his cattle and was an avid duck hunter and fisherman. He was presently a member of the Clay County Cattleman’s Association. He was serving on the advisory board of Four County Electric Power Association and was a nominations committee member. Active in community works, he had served as past president of the Clay County Chamber of Commerce. He was a Ducks Unlimited Sponsor where he was past chairman. He served as a chairman of trustees at First United Methodist Church where he was an MYF Leader. He was a board member of First National Bank and Cadence Bank of West Point. He served on the Board of Oak Hill Academy. He married Gale Young Griggs on Aug. 30, 1969, in West Point, at First United Methodist Church.
Services will be at 2 p.m. Monday, July 1, at Calvert Funeral Home Chapel with the Rev. Truman Thompson officiating.
Survivors include his wife, Gale Young Griggs of West Point; one daughter, Leigh Elizabeth Griggs Camp of Madison; one son, Brian Douglas Griggs of West Point; two grandchildren, Neely Caradine Griggs of Birmingham, Ala., and Abigale Evans Camp of Madison; three sisters, Kay Griggs Rogers of Aberdeen, Mavis Griggs Chism (Buddy) of Amory and Lula Mae Griggs Kilgore of Birmingham, Ala.
Preceding him in death were his parents; and his brother, Johnny Griggs.
Honorary pallbearers will be Donnie Simmons, Lonnie Brand, Steve Watson, Joey Michel, Jimmy Donahoo, Ralph Bradley, Doug Wood, Jimmy Wood, Robert Darsey, Glenn Robinson, Ray Millard, Larry Pitre, Mac Steadman, Bobby Jenkins, J. B. Kisner, The Wednesday Night Supper Club and the Strong United Methodist Church Family.
Memorials may be made to Sally Kate Winters Family Services, P. O. Box 1233, West Point, MS 39773 or to Strong United Methodist Church, c/o George Watson, 10337 Strong Road, Aberdeen, MS 39730.
Visitation is 4 to 7 p.m. Sunday at Calvert Funeral Home.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago