Fishing With Fathers
OKOLONA – It is a simple solution to a serious problem and all it takes is a little time and patience.
The Fourth Annual Fishing With Fathers saw dozens of dads take part in a fishing expedition just outside of Okolona Saturday morning with kids getting a chance to fish and fathers and other male role models getting some quality time with youngsters. The event was hosted by Baby Steps.
“Baby Steps is all about empowering parents and getting parents involved in the lives of children,” said Dawn Weed, executive director of Baby Steps, an agency started by William Raspberry to teach and strengthen parenting skills. “We educate parents and children and getting parents to read to their kids helps them both.”
Weed said Saturday’s event has grown to become a favorite in the community and is effective.
“It’s really rather simple,” she explained. “We provide parents with a chance to take their child fishing and we give away books that we hope parents will read to their kids. And fishing is a great way to make a positive memory with their child.”
Fishermen gathered at Omar Moore’s pond on Moore Road to fish.
“Take all the fish you want, but please make sure you have a good time with your child,” said Moore a contemporary of Raspberry. “Bill always loved to come out here and I think he would be very pleased to know we are continuing his legacy.”
Raspberry, a Pulitzer Prize winning columnist with the Washington Post and native of Okolona, died last summer of prostate cancer.
“Getting men involved in the lives of their children is so important,” said Weed. “Men teach by example and this is the perfect opportunity to spend quality time with a child.”
Weed said Baby Steps recently earned a ESTRE grant from the Kellogg Foundation that targets 3-4-year-old, African-American, males.
“We will start the program with 15 kids and hope to get scholarships to include more,” said Weed. “This program will have an impact on education in Okolona.”
Weed said study after study shows the importance of reading to children and books were provided to parents before they hit the pool bank at Saturday’s Fishing with Fathers.
Weed said fishing also teaches patience and allows a parent to sit and explain the art of baiting a hook, casting a line and catching fish.
And there were hotdogs, potato chips and soft drinks, too.
Fishing With Fathers was open to children between the ages of 3 and 8. The only requirement was they be accompanied by a father, grandfather, mentor or male role model.
“We want to thank those people who helped with this event,” said Weed. “We especially want to thank those parents and children who showed up for Fishing With Fathers. This event grows every time we have it and we hope it will be bigger next year.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings April 25, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago