Homecoming is Saturday night
HOUSTON – On Saturday night it will be all about hometown Houston.
The annual Houston Homecoming celebration gets underway Saturday afternoon offering live music, food, children’s games and an opportunity for community fellowship.
The Houston Homecoming Committee has handed out red-white-and-blue buntings to businesses downtown and asked them to put them up to get the community in the mood for another fun-filled Houston Homecoming.
“They are brand new and they look nice,” said Linda Vanlandingham, of CDF and a member of the Houston Homecoming Planning Committee. “We hope people will ask our businesses about them this week and then make plans on coming downtown Saturday. It’s always a lot of fun.”
It all begins at 4:30 p.m. with kids and veterans staging at the Houston Lower Elementary School at the corner of Madison and Starkville Road and the Homecoming Parade starting at 4:45 p.m.
Veterans will be seated in a special wagon that will be pulled to the Courthouse Square to be recognized at Homecoming ceremonies.
Kids are being urged to decorate their bike, trike, wagon or baby carriage and make a memory by riding in the Houston Independence Day Parade.
Opening ceremonies start at 5 p.m., with an invocation, Pledge of Allegiance and the singing of the National Anthem by Houston’s Molly May.
The Community Choir will perform three songs from the stage and the community is urged to join the choir.
Homecomers are asked to bring chairs and set them up on Jefferson Street, which will be blocked off for the event. The Courthouse lawn will be filled with bounce houses and slides and a rock wall will be open for climbing.
Local churches and civic clubs will set up booths offering food and drinks for sale.
Entertainment slated for Houston Homecoming include:
• Greg Dillard, singing country, rock and zydeco.
• One Way Quartet, singing Gospel and hymns.
• Over-The-Hill Jazz Band, singing big-band and swing.
• The Tim Warren Band, singing many popular favorites and a few of his own tunes.
As always, the evening will culminate around 9:15 p.m. with a giant fireworks show.
Vendor spaces are still available at no charge for Houston non-profit clubs, churches and organizations, but pre-registration is required. To reserve a spot, contact Mary Smith at 456-3382.
For additional information on Houston Homecoming, call the Chickasaw Development Foundation at 456-2321.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Making a difference every day April 26, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago