Summer ball leads into fall
Park and Recreation Director John Gravat said this year’s league hosted 37 teams and 424 players, requiring the support of a lot of volunteers who came through like true champions.
“Our coaches, most definitely,” said Gravat about people on his list of thanks and added local businesses and civic clubs were due a big nod of gratitude. “We had very good support. We had several new sponsors and we even did a Park and Rec team this year.”
The revenue produced by the summer league is designated to return to the program to cover operating costs and expand more programs for youth. Gravat said there are two new projects on the table that will be launched this fall.
“We’re going to play fall ball this year,” Gravat said, explaining the program is basically an extension of the summer program and has been requested by players and parents as an additional recreation program.
Following registration in July, teams will be divided by age groups and will play baseball and softball beginning in August and running through mid-September.
“We’ll put three-, four- and five-years-olds together and six, seven and eight,” Gravat said. “We’ll have to see about nine and above, depending on how many we have at registration.”
The fall ball league will be more casual than the summer league.
“It’s what (Mayor) Stacey Parker calls backyard ball,” Gravat smiled. “We’re not going to do uniforms, we’ll just choose up teams and play. We’re trying to make it as cheap as possible to keep the kids playing.”
The season is projected to begin around Aug. 5 and run through mid-September.
“About six weeks, 8-12 games per team,” Gravat said.
Registration for fall ball will be held July 22-27 at Houston City Hall with a $20 activity fee.
And on into fall
Another project slated for fall is a youth flag football league. Gravat said the program is still in the organizational stage but will begin in the fall of 2013.
The plan is to get the program started around the first of September with registration, team selection and practices and to play the month of October. Flag football will overlap fall ball and Gravat is working out the details now.
“This will run togther, same time, and it’s new to me, too,” Gravat smiled. “Hopefully we can get the teams picked and start practice around the 16th of September and play the games in October.”
For more information about Park and Rec programs, contact Gravat at 456-2328 or 542-9139.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Making a difference every day April 26, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago