Hollis heads to Union County
Hollis finished his fifth year with the Rams this spring and will head back to Union County in a move that takes him off the field and into administration.
Hollis earned his endorsement in administration in 2004 and served as Assistant Principal at West Amory Elementary School before heading to Vardaman to assume coaching responsibilities for the football team.
He said the offer to get closer to family members came quickly.
“It came about last Thursday and they called Friday for me to come for an interview,” Hollis said.
Hollis will serve as Assistant Principal at Myrtle Attendance Center. The Union County native said he felt the change is positive.
“I felt like it would be a good fit,” Hollis said. “It’s a small school, 1A, and there’s no football, so that will be an adjustment.”
Vardaman High School Principal Porter Casey said he feels the Calhoun County School Board will act quickly to replace Hollis so as to make the change as smooth as possible. Casey said he has already begun the interview process to find a new head coach.
“I’m hoping to make a recommendation not this week, but probably the middle of next week,” Porter said. “We’re kind of on a tight timetable, but we don’t want to rush into anything either.”
Casey said he was aware Hollis was testing the waters earlier this spring, so he was prepared for a change in the event it came.
“We appreciate the time he spent here and wish him all the best in his future,” Casey said.
In the meantime, the Rams’ fieldhouse will remain open for summer workouts. Schedules are posted at the fieldhouse for dates and times and assistant coaches will be on duty this summer for students.
“Everything is still moving along,” Casey said. “Hopefully we’ll get someone permanent in there soon.”
In yet another coaching change, assistant Clint Young will return to his hometown of Pontotoc to teach Agriculture,leaving a vacancy on the sideline and in the classroom.
Casey anticipated that move as well.
“He’s been driving from Pontotoc,” Casey said. “His oldest son is starting to play ball and his wife is a principal in the Pontotoc County School District.”
Casey is currently interviewing applicants for the Agri-science class.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Making a difference every day April 26, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago