Henry S. Weir
BRUCE – Henry Selby Weir, 83, died Monday, June 24, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. He was born Jan. 30, 1930, in Newton.
A graduate of Newton High School, he attended Millsaps College on a golf scholarship. He later transferred to Mississippi State University, where he received a bachelor’s degree in forestry. He was a veteran of the United States Army and a retired forester with Weyerhaeuser in Bruce. He was a member of First Baptist Church In Bruce, where taught Sunday school for many years. He was an avid golfer and a fan of the Mississippi State Bulldogs. He was past president of the Lions Club of Bruce.
Services will be at 3 p.m. Thursday, June 27, at Parker Memorial Funeral Home Chapel in Bruce. Dr. Daniel Hathorne will officiate, and Bro. Darrell Logan will assist. Burial will be in Memory Memorial Garden in Bruce.
He is survived by his wife of 33 years, Vida Mae Weir of Bruce; one brother, Sam Weir of Hickory; a stepson, Joe T. Grist (KC); two grandsons, Joe Therrall Grist III and James Mayer Grist of Tupelo.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Henry and Mary Jenkins Weir; a sister, Sandra O’Neal; and an infant son, Michael.
Pallbearers will be Bobby Gordon Brown, Don Bryant, Mike Jones, Andy Reid, Mark Taylor and Mike Winter. Honorary pallbearers will be Ace Cannon; his grandsons, Jimmy Grist and J.T. Grist; and his golfing buddies.
Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at the funeral home.
For online condolences visit parkermemorialfuneralhomes.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago