Houston names new teachers, coaches
The Houston School Board has hired teachers and approved resignations and changes in schools around the district in preparation for the 2013-14 school year.
“These are the people in charge,” said School Board President Bart Munlin. “These are the people who have a direct line to teaching this community’s children.”
Teachers, coaches and principals are contract employees and are offered an annual contract effective from July 1 to June 30 of each school year.
“The people we hire to man the classroom are so important and this is a decision this board takes very seriously,” said Munlin. “I always look for qualified people and people who have integrity, especially those we put in leadership positions.”
Houston School Superintendent, Dr. Steve Coker, said most of the district’s teachers are offered a contract at the end of the year and have 10 days to tell the district if they plan to return in the fall. He explained this process allows the district to fill gaps when a teacher moves to another district and the contract ensures the teacher, coach or administrator will serve the district for the school year.
“We usually have from eight to ten teachers who leave the district each year,” said Coker. “We also have teachers who retire.”
Coker said keeping a good mix of new and veteran teachers is critical to a good school district. He said while you want veterans in the classroom, new teachers with new ideas are also healthy for the district.
“One of the unique things we see in Houston is people who graduate from Houston schools, go to college and get their teaching degree and certificate and then want to come back to Houston to teach,” said Coker. “I think that says a lot about our community and Houston schools.”
Resignations approved by the Houston School Board recently are:
• Keith Jernigan – HHS Softball Coach
• Richard Shirey – HHS Band Director
• Jill Vance – HLES SPED Teacher
• Linda Franks – HLES Teacher
• Bruce Franks – HHS Teacher/Coach
• Leigh Ann Rimmer – Speech Pathologist
• Christine Davis – HUES Teacher
• Josh Robinson – Assistant Band Director
• Quana Ivy – Cross Country Coach
Recommendations for hiring approved by the Houston School Board for the 2013-14 school year are:
• Clayton Dodd – HMS SPED Teacher, Tennis Coach and Assistant Varsity Football Coach
• Jui Londia Mosley – HHS English Teacher (pending proper certification)
• Anna T. Wilson – Speech Teacher
• Patricia Ellison – Assistant Cross Country Coach
• Jeffery Mann – Head Softball Coach
• Lyndsey Jones – Speech Pathologist
• Lisa Wofford – HUES SPED Teacher
• Timothy Cook – HMS SPED Teacher
• Robert Winters – HLES Principal
• Trevor Hampton – HHS Assistant Principal.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago