Fortunately for law abiding citizens the shameful and unconscionable efforts to the president and others to exploit the murder of American children for political gain recently failed in the Senate. However, the issue of the safety of American school children remains an issue which our government has a duty to address. Responsible citizens should not and must not allow the political left to now refuse to take the steps necessary to protect our children while they callously wait for another incident which they can again attempt to exploit for their own political motives.
A proposal has been put forth that our government take the steps necessary to place an armed police officer in every school in America. This is a reasonable and rational proposal which could only make our children safer as individuals who would attack and murder innocent children are by definition cowards and would be deterred by the mere knowledge that an armed police officer was present.
The police officers assigned to schools would not be confronted with an armed assailant every day; therefore, when considering this proposal our citizens should be mindful of the benefits which would be derived from a police presence in all our schools. A police presence would obviously have an impact on the presence of illegal drugs in our schools, the officer’s presence would deter gang violence in schools, the police presence would also deter bullying and other unacceptable behavior among students. Perhaps most importantly, the presence of police officers would allow our children to interact with police officers and to come to understand on a personal level that the police are there to protect and serve them and should be viewed as their friends.
It is estimated that the cost of placing an armed police officer in every school in America would be approximately five billion dollars and that this expenditure would create fifty thousand career level jobs. By comparison, the Obama Administration spent eight hundred billion dollars on an economic stimulus package that apparently did not have any positive impact on the economy. From a common sense point of view there is simply no reason that any elected official, political activist or public figure should oppose this action and all citizens should not only call on our elected officials to support this measure but should also publicly question the true motives of anyone opposing it.
This is just the view of one Christian American citizen and will mean nothing unless my fellow citizens join me in contacting their elected officials to demand that they take this reasonable action for the protection of our nation’s children.
Preston Ray Garrett
RAY GARRETT: Put armed guards in schools
About Floyd Ingram
- Claiming their spots April 18, 2014
- Gwendolyn Shipp April 17, 2014
- Wolves start week clean April 17, 2014
- Herron places fourth at State April 17, 2014
- 3 dead in Nettleton shooting: Altercation at plant leads to street gunfire April 17, 2014
- Claiming their spots April 18, 2014
- Lady Toppers wrestle Gators April 18, 2014
- Authorities search for driver of drug car April 18, 2014
- Jamie Guin April 18, 2014
- Cameron Eddie April 18, 2014
- help: They treat their employees like they are slaves wo...
- William: This is best content site Deer archery....
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 10 months ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 10 months ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 10 months ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 10 months ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 10 months ago