LOCAL FOCUS: Wave Lengths
HOUSTON – Wave Lengths is your classic hometown salon complete with people who know your name, know your style and it is run by people who know their business.
The hair salon is just off the Square on West Hamilton and has been run by Leigh Ann Howell in the same location for the past 14 years.
“I’ve actually been doing hair for 19 years,” said Howell. “I grew up in Houston and always knew I wanted to be a stylist. I absolutely love my job and really can’t imagine doing anything else.”
Howell said she was never into the “pageant thing” in high school.
“But I always loved doing my friend’s hair and makeup,” she explained. “You have to love this business to do it – it really is a lot of hard work. I’ve always tried to have fun doing it.”
Cuts, color and highlights are the traditional fare at Wave Lengths. They also do chemicals shots; a deep conditioning treatment for hair.
Wave Lengths also specializes in manicures, pedicures and nail art.
“Lillian Orozco handles most of our manicures and she has been working with us for about three years,” said Howell. “Beth Anne Kilgore has been working here for about a year and a half and specializes in wedding and prom or formal hair.”
All those at Wave Lengths keep up with the latest fashion trends and styles. And it shows in their work.
“I won’t say we will try anything,” said Howell, “but I do work hard to satisfy the customer.”
Wave Lengths handles walk-ins who are willing to wait, but the salon has a list of long-time customers who come in at the same time, same day and want the same style.
“Most of those customers have been with me for years and years,” said Howell. “Not only do they know me, but I know them. They are my friends and are a big part of my life.”
Howell said being blessed with a successful business has allowed her the freedom to attend her son’s ballgames, be active in church and take a leading role in community events that are near and dear to her heart.
“My child was raised in this salon and we’ve started bringing Arrington up here for the past 10 months,” said Howell with a smile. “My clients love it.
“This really is a friendly salon and I mean it when I say my clients are my friends,” said Howell. “We have people who just stop by and visit. We wouldn’t have it any other way.”
Owner: Leigh Ann Howell
Location: 101 West Hamilton
Hours: 9 a.m. Until, Tue-Fri, or by appointment.
Local Focus is a regular business feature of the Chickasaw Journal. Locally owned businesses wanting to be included in Local Focus should call the Chickasaw Journal at 456-3771.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Okolona celebrates graduation May 20, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago