Toppers swing in summer
“Not trying to do anything outside of just putting a good swing on the ball,” said Houston’s coach Scott Gann of his team’s summer hitting. “And we’ve had that lately.”
Gann went on to say the team is having a productive summer, both in pointing out strengths and exposing weaknesses to work on.
“We are playing really well right now,” Gann said. “Pitching has been iffy, but our defense has been really solid. I can only think of a couple of errors the entire summer. We try to pride ourselves on pitching and defense.”
Gann said Mississippi State University’s participation in the Super Regional and now the College World Series has provided teachable moments.
“Take a look at the eight teams playing in the College World Series,” Gann said. “They are all at the top of pitching and fielding.”
Following graduation, the summer season provides an opportunity to fill some gaps during the off-season.
“We all know we’re just working towards next spring, trying to get over that hump in the playoffs and make that awesome journey we had this year last a little longer,” Gann said.
The Toppers’ varsity team took a win over Nettleton June 13 and the JV game was rained out, but the Junior Varsity got their licks in earlier that week, picking up a 6-1 win over Saltillo June 11.
Toppling the Tigers
The Toppers started their run in the bottom of the first inning as Justin Kimbroughs’ two RBI double put the Houston boys on the board.
The Tigers came back with a run in the second but the Toppers added one as well to keep their lead, 3-1.
The Tigers challenged in the top of the third with a runner on first and third and one out, but Clay Faulkner stopped the drive, catching the pop-up at second and turning the double play to Reid Carter at first.
Garrison Howell doubled to center field in the bottom of the frame and Kimbrough hit a liner to the shortstop who missed the tag on Howell and overthrew first, allowing Howell to score and Kimbrough to land on third. Clay Hillhouse doubled to score Kimbrough and Hillhouse scored on a pass ball. Javarious Jones scored on a grounder and the Toppers took their 6-1 lead through the top of the fifth for the win.
The Toppers have a full week scheduled if Mother Nature will let them claim it. They are scheduled to head to the NEMCABB Regional tournament Thursday to begin pool play for the finals next week.
Regional games will be hosted by Calhoun City and Houston will begin with Bruce at 2:30 p.m. Thursday and follow up with South Pontotoc at 4:45 p.m. Friday and Calhoun City at 7 p.m.
June 24-26 they will be in New Albany for the conclusion of the tournament.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago