Fishing is fun!
DAVIS LAKE – It wasn’t all about catching fish, but it was all about having fun.
The annual Kid’s Fishing Rodeo was held at Davis Lake Saturday morning with kids taking part in a casting contest, eating hotdogs and of course getting to fish.
“I love catching fish,” said eight-year-old Maddox Clouse, who was fishing with his father Vince. “I’ve caught bigger ones but this is fun.”
And getting family to have a little fun fishing was the goal of Saturday’s event that was open to kids ages 4 to 17.
“We do this to get kids interested in fishing and hopefully their parents will see how much fun it is and keep taking them fishing,” said Wayne Parish, President of the Houston Hawg Callers Bass Club. “We’ve been doing this for years and it’s always a lot of fun.”
The club has been hosting the event since 1997 and has seen mornings when several hundred kids showed up.
“We have asked the Houston Civitan Club to join with us and help put this on,” said Parish. “The Forestry Service buys the trophies and waives the gate fees for this event.”
Parish also thanked Grocer’s Pride and Frito Lay for the food, drinks and snacks served at Saturday’s event.
“This was our first time to help with this event and we try to do as many community service projects as we can,” said Houston PLUS Civitan Club President Scott Murphree. “I brought my family and this really has been a lot of fun.”
Civitans and Hawg Callers fanned out around the lake to help kids bait hooks, take fish off the line and offer tips on how to catch the big one.
Kids fished from 7 to 10:30 a.m. And then were treated to hot dogs, chips, soft drinks and sweets.
Trophies and medals were given for the largest, smallest and most fish caught in different age categories. Prizes were also given for the most points scored in the casting contest.
The club is considering moving the annual fishing rodeo to coincide with the National Day of Fishing in early June. Members said while Saturday’s weather was great, an early June date might be better for fishing.
“Fishing is one of those sports that everyone can do and enjoy,” said Parish. “I found my love of fishing when I was a kid and it has never stopped. We hope that happened with a few kids here today.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago