Gooch inducted into NEMBCA Hall of Fame
BOONEVILLE – Lanny Gooch of Houston picked up one more professional award from his career in coaching basketball as he was inducted into the Northeast Mississippi Basketball Coaches Association’s Hall of Fame during the All-Star game in Booneville June 1.
Gooch, a native of Toccopola, completed his post-secondary education at Itawamba Junior College and the University of Mississippi earning B.A. and M.E. degrees.
He began his career as an assistant coach at Yocona High School in Lafayette County, but moved to Houston in 1966 to take on the role of Junior High School basketball coach. The moved seemed to fit well, as Gooch spent the rest of his 35-year career in Houston, serving as high school basketball coach for boys and girls from 1968-1998.
He led a highly successful program at HHS racking up impressive statistics, including:
* Overall record (girls and boys), 773-356 (68.47 percent)
* 11 teams advancing to State tournament
* Won 1985 State Girl’s Championship (34-2)
* Runners up 1971 State Boy’s Championship (32-2)
* Eight North State Championship teams
* 1971 MAC All Star Coach
* 1985 Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal Coach of the Year
* Conference Coach of the Year, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1981, 1982
* District 4 Coach of the Year, 1995
Gooch also coached winning teams and individual champions in golf, baseball and girl’s track at HHS and has served on several athletic boards and committees.
He and wife, Jane, have three grown children and are members of Houston First United Methodist Church.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Making a difference every day April 26, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago