MAKING A DIFFERENCE: Chandra Warren
Warren promotes positive lifestyle at work and home
Editor’s Note: This is the fourth of four articles on area women making a difference in their community.
HOULKA – Home is where the heart is and Chandra Warren’s heart is at home in Houlka.
“I love it, I love Houlka,” Warren said. “I wish people could look iside our community and see how close everyone is and how helpful they are to each other.”
Originally from the Delta, Chandra moved with her parents, Garland and Mary McDaniel, to Bruce and then to Houston. She married Roger Warren 16 years ago and Houlka has been her home ever since.
She has been in the nursing profession for six years, working in Labor and Delivery at North Mississippi Medical Center until she got an opportunity to work closer to home at Houlka Attendance Center.
“I loved it,” she said of her time at NMMC. “It’s such a happy time in people’s lives, but being here, to me, was more important. My kids are here. This is a different type of nursing, it’s more educating kids and it a critical time for them. They need to be healthy to learn.”
Warren has been instumental in pushing programs that incorporate health for body and mind in her first year at Houlka Schools.
And it hasn’t gone without notice.
“Chandra has done a great job this year as our school nurse,” said Superintendent Dr. Betsy Collums. “She loves working in a school setting. She has a positive attitude and always volunteers to help with extra activities.”
One of the other activities in her life is her work for her church, Houlka First Baptist, where she teaches Girls in Action for grades 1-3.
“It makes you feel good to know you’re a part of their lives,” Warren said. “I think God placed me here. When I took this job, the GAs came available and my girls can be involved.”
Chandra and Roger have six children and one grandchild and family time is very important to them.
“It’s a houseful,” she laughed. “We like ball, we do the ball games. And we like to go camping. And we love fishing. We all love to go fishing.”
Warren also decorates cakes in her spare time and enjoys church activities. But the ability to be closer to her family through her work is what pleases her most.
“With this job, I’m able to go to every thing they do,” Warren said. “It just makes my day.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- POLICE ROUNDUP: Houston man arrested for fraud. May 21, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago