Back on the diamond
After a very short hiatus, the Hilltoppers are back on the field, along with most other high school teams, for the summer baseball season.
The Toppers wrapped up the high school season in the quarter finals of state playoffs and graduated out six seniors May 23 so the summer season is a perfect opportunity to begin reshaping the team for next spring.
“We play in the summer to get better, get more innings and at-bats,” said Coach Scott Gann. “I get a good look at who we will be next spring, what our strengths and weaknesses will be, things we need to work on over the fall.”
Gann said restructuring the team after graduation is one of the key points to prepare for the 2014 season.
“The team identity usually shows up during the summer so you already have a good idea as to what and who you will be before you even open up in the fall,” Gann said.
The Toppers began the summer season in tournament at East Union falling to Pontotoc, 7-1, and coming out on the winning side of their game with Booneville, 7-0.
For their first game on the home field, they split a double-header with East Webster winning the first game, 4-0, and falling to the Wolverines, 7-2, in the nightcap.
They will be back in action Thursday at home against Nettleton.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- Moore signs with Miss. Delta CC May 30, 2016
- Houlka presents summer programs May 30, 2016
- CARA CHISOLM: There is a reason for Memorial Day May 29, 2016
- Houston Solar Car honored by Legislature May 29, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago