What kind of girl lifts weights?
The kind who breaks state records and achieve national rankings.
And Anna Kathryn Colbert is that kind of girl.
CVolbert, a Houston native and current resident of Hattiesburg, attends Oak Grove High School where she got involved with power lifting in the ninth grade.
“I took a weight lifting class at school and there was a girl on the team who was talking about it,” Colbert said. “I got interested in it.”
Her interest led her to not only join the high school team, but also to continue competition after school hours with the U.S. Association of Power Lifters, leading to her participation in their national meet in Orlando this May.
“I competed in a meet in July of 2012 that qualified me for the national meet,” Colbert said. “I didn’t even realize it at the time. The coach from Ridgeland called me. He’s the coach for the national team, too. He contacted me about three months ago.”
Although that may not seem like much time to prepare, Colbert broke two State records, in deadlift and squat, on her way to lifting 628.25 total pounds. Her combined lift was good enough for third place nationally in the girl’s 16-17 age class.
“I wasn’t expecting to place at nationals at all,” Colbert said.
While Colbert is back in Houston this summer, working with her father and uncle at Colbert Land Services, she will be back in training soon.
“It’s about five days a week, pretty much year round,” Colbert smiled. “My next meet is in July and that starts the season. We have six months of meets and five months preparing. I get about a month off.”
The incoming senior at Oak Grove is the daughter of Andy Colbert and Lynda Avery-Colbert and, aside from being ranked nationally in powerlifting, is just like any other teenage gir. She is an honor student, plays the piano and is considering Pharmacy school after high school graduation.
But in competition, she keeps her mind focused on personal bests.
“It’s a ‘let me beat myself’ kind of thing,” Colbert said.
What kind of girl lifts weights?
About Lisa Voyles
- Making the grade December 12, 2014
- United Furniture to expand in former Lane building December 16, 2014
- Topper Old Timer December 16, 2014
- Houston superintendent’s contract not renewed December 17, 2014
- Reaching out to offenders December 17, 2014
- Union County woman arrested in scam after burning death December 19, 2014
- Wreaths across America December 19, 2014
- Board hears report on HUES December 18, 2014
- FLOYD INGRAM: Christmas in Houston, Mississippi December 18, 2014
- EDITORIAL: Change December 18, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago