What kind of girl lifts weights?
The kind who breaks state records and achieve national rankings.
And Anna Kathryn Colbert is that kind of girl.
CVolbert, a Houston native and current resident of Hattiesburg, attends Oak Grove High School where she got involved with power lifting in the ninth grade.
“I took a weight lifting class at school and there was a girl on the team who was talking about it,” Colbert said. “I got interested in it.”
Her interest led her to not only join the high school team, but also to continue competition after school hours with the U.S. Association of Power Lifters, leading to her participation in their national meet in Orlando this May.
“I competed in a meet in July of 2012 that qualified me for the national meet,” Colbert said. “I didn’t even realize it at the time. The coach from Ridgeland called me. He’s the coach for the national team, too. He contacted me about three months ago.”
Although that may not seem like much time to prepare, Colbert broke two State records, in deadlift and squat, on her way to lifting 628.25 total pounds. Her combined lift was good enough for third place nationally in the girl’s 16-17 age class.
“I wasn’t expecting to place at nationals at all,” Colbert said.
While Colbert is back in Houston this summer, working with her father and uncle at Colbert Land Services, she will be back in training soon.
“It’s about five days a week, pretty much year round,” Colbert smiled. “My next meet is in July and that starts the season. We have six months of meets and five months preparing. I get about a month off.”
The incoming senior at Oak Grove is the daughter of Andy Colbert and Lynda Avery-Colbert and, aside from being ranked nationally in powerlifting, is just like any other teenage gir. She is an honor student, plays the piano and is considering Pharmacy school after high school graduation.
But in competition, she keeps her mind focused on personal bests.
“It’s a ‘let me beat myself’ kind of thing,” Colbert said.
What kind of girl lifts weights?
About Lisa Voyles
- Extension gives out 1,600 trees March 3, 2014
- Lady Eagles wrap in Overall March 6, 2014
- Dale Weeks March 6, 2014
- FLOYD INGRAM: A dog named Sunday March 6, 2014
- Virginia Dopson March 6, 2014
- Circuit Court verdict rendered in Okolona March 10, 2014
- Big Bass! March 8, 2014
- Spring forward! March 8, 2014
- WINTER JAM: Christian music festival sells out at BancorpSouth Arena March 7, 2014
- Reading is learning March 7, 2014
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...
- WEDDING: Earnest/Morgan | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] E.J. Earnest […]...
- 60th ANNIVERSARY: Rad & Betty Clark | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Ralph Coggins […]...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 9 months ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 9 months ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 9 months ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 9 months ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 9 months ago