What kind of girl lifts weights?
The kind who breaks state records and achieve national rankings.
And Anna Kathryn Colbert is that kind of girl.
CVolbert, a Houston native and current resident of Hattiesburg, attends Oak Grove High School where she got involved with power lifting in the ninth grade.
“I took a weight lifting class at school and there was a girl on the team who was talking about it,” Colbert said. “I got interested in it.”
Her interest led her to not only join the high school team, but also to continue competition after school hours with the U.S. Association of Power Lifters, leading to her participation in their national meet in Orlando this May.
“I competed in a meet in July of 2012 that qualified me for the national meet,” Colbert said. “I didn’t even realize it at the time. The coach from Ridgeland called me. He’s the coach for the national team, too. He contacted me about three months ago.”
Although that may not seem like much time to prepare, Colbert broke two State records, in deadlift and squat, on her way to lifting 628.25 total pounds. Her combined lift was good enough for third place nationally in the girl’s 16-17 age class.
“I wasn’t expecting to place at nationals at all,” Colbert said.
While Colbert is back in Houston this summer, working with her father and uncle at Colbert Land Services, she will be back in training soon.
“It’s about five days a week, pretty much year round,” Colbert smiled. “My next meet is in July and that starts the season. We have six months of meets and five months preparing. I get about a month off.”
The incoming senior at Oak Grove is the daughter of Andy Colbert and Lynda Avery-Colbert and, aside from being ranked nationally in powerlifting, is just like any other teenage gir. She is an honor student, plays the piano and is considering Pharmacy school after high school graduation.
But in competition, she keeps her mind focused on personal bests.
“It’s a ‘let me beat myself’ kind of thing,” Colbert said.
What kind of girl lifts weights?
About Lisa Voyles
- Flywheel Festival seeks vendors April 19, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Voice your vote April 23, 2015
- Testing time April 23, 2015
- Hilltoppers eye playoffs April 23, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: Flywheel fun starts Friday April 23, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: Presidential politics for 2016 April 26, 2015
- Locals serve on Indian Delegation April 25, 2015
- State benefits from Natchez Trace Parkway visitors April 24, 2015
- Houston hosts Flywheel Festival April 24, 2015
- Houston honors best and brightest April 23, 2015
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago