What kind of girl lifts weights?
The kind who breaks state records and achieve national rankings.
And Anna Kathryn Colbert is that kind of girl.
CVolbert, a Houston native and current resident of Hattiesburg, attends Oak Grove High School where she got involved with power lifting in the ninth grade.
“I took a weight lifting class at school and there was a girl on the team who was talking about it,” Colbert said. “I got interested in it.”
Her interest led her to not only join the high school team, but also to continue competition after school hours with the U.S. Association of Power Lifters, leading to her participation in their national meet in Orlando this May.
“I competed in a meet in July of 2012 that qualified me for the national meet,” Colbert said. “I didn’t even realize it at the time. The coach from Ridgeland called me. He’s the coach for the national team, too. He contacted me about three months ago.”
Although that may not seem like much time to prepare, Colbert broke two State records, in deadlift and squat, on her way to lifting 628.25 total pounds. Her combined lift was good enough for third place nationally in the girl’s 16-17 age class.
“I wasn’t expecting to place at nationals at all,” Colbert said.
While Colbert is back in Houston this summer, working with her father and uncle at Colbert Land Services, she will be back in training soon.
“It’s about five days a week, pretty much year round,” Colbert smiled. “My next meet is in July and that starts the season. We have six months of meets and five months preparing. I get about a month off.”
The incoming senior at Oak Grove is the daughter of Andy Colbert and Lynda Avery-Colbert and, aside from being ranked nationally in powerlifting, is just like any other teenage gir. She is an honor student, plays the piano and is considering Pharmacy school after high school graduation.
But in competition, she keeps her mind focused on personal bests.
“It’s a ‘let me beat myself’ kind of thing,” Colbert said.
What kind of girl lifts weights?
About Lisa Voyles
- Summer details handled by Okolona trustees July 28, 2015
- County elections are Tuesday, Aug. 4 July 31, 2015
- Two charged in Calhoun County death July 31, 2015
- Man arrested following assault with knife July 31, 2015
- Houlka aldermen updated on water, sewer issues July 31, 2015
- Back to School Calendar! August 3, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: A hot political summer August 3, 2015
- School immunization required August 2, 2015
- 2015-16 Back to School Supply lists for Houlka, Houston, Okolona August 2, 2015
- PERS retirees must stay vigilant August 2, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago