Uhiren, Thomas win city races
Neither race was close in the only two contested city races in Chickasaw County that pitted a Republican and Democrat.
Thomas ran as a Republican for his Ward 3 post and collected 78 votes to challenger and Democrat Patricia Burgess-Southerland’s 19 votes. There were 97 ballots cast on election day and three absentee ballots recorded in Ward 3.
Uhiren also ran as a Republican for his Ward 1 post and tallied 142 votes to Democratic challenger Bobby Mooneyham’s 73 votes. There were 205 ballots cast on election day and 15 absentee ballots recorded in Ward 1.
“This will be my third full term and I want to thank my supporters,” said Thomas. “I do want people to know, whether they voted for me or not, they can come to me with city concerns.”
Burgess-Southerland said she had no comment on Tuesday’s election but did tell election officials Tuesday night she wanted a recount.
“I hope I treat people the same whether they voted for me or not,” said Uhiren. “I really do appreciate them putting their confidence in me.”
Mooneyham said the campaign rekindled many friendships and he also thanked those who supported him at the polls.
“I really enjoyed going to people’s homes around town and seeing people I have not seen in a long time,” said Mooneyham.
Candidates running in uncontested races for municipal offices were:
• Mayor Stacey Park – 306 votes in four wards.
• Ward 2 Alderman Shenia Jones – 11 votes in one ward.
• Ward 4 Alderman Willie Mae McKinney – 26 votes in one ward.
• Alderman-At-Large Barry Springer – 301 votes in four wards.
• City Marshal Billy Voyles – 302 votes in four wards.
City election officials are slated to meet at 10 a.m. Wednesday at City Hall to canvas the votes and certify the election.
Questions or concerns about voting issues, policy and procedure for any election should be directed to the Secretary of State’s office at (601) 359-1350.
Questions or concerns about candidate qualifications, ethics and conduct while in office should be directed to the Attorney General’s Public Integrity Division at (601) 359-4258.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Fuller Center cyclist pedal through Houston. April 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago