Time to wet a line
Annual fishing rodeo set for Saturday
By Lisa Voyles
It’s time for kids of all ages to throw a line in the water and see what comes up.
The annual Kid’s Fishing Rodeo is back and set for this Saturday at Davis Lake east of Houlka.
The event is open to children ages 4-17 at no charge as an opportunity to try a new sport and learn some fishing skills. The Houston Hawg Callers Bass club sponsors the event for children and youth and snacks and drinks are provided. The U.S. Forestry Service waives gate fees at the Recreation Area and also provides trophies in several categories that are awarded after a day of fishing.
This year, the newly formed Houston PLUS Civitan club is partnering in the event to provide extra manpower and supervision in the activities. The Civitan’s national platform is the support of developmentally delayed children and President Scott Murphree said the club members wanted to lend the Hawg Callers a hand at the event.
“Civitan caters so much to the developmentally delayed and we want to help out,” Murphree said. “We wanted to jump in there so everyone will feel comfortable.”
Participants will need to bring their own fishing pole, but bait, tackle, supervision and family-oriented fun are all provided by the sponsors.
Joey Cook of the Hawg Callers Bass club said registration will open at 7 a.m., and will be ongoing as children arrive. The event usually wraps up about 10:30 a.m. and snacks and drinks are provided.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago