Civitan PLUS lends a helpin hand in community
From staff reports
HOUSTON – As the newest civic club formed in Houston, the Civitan PLUS Club didn’t hesitate to get involved in the community.
The club chartered in September 2012 and took over sponsorship of the annual Houston Christmas parade in December.
“We are so proud to be hosting this event,” said Scott Murphree in an interview prior to the parade.
The club asked members of the recently returned 288th Sapper Company, along with local veterans to serve as Grand Marshals of the event.
Civitans are not new to Houston, but their presence has been missed for quite a few years. A Civitan club existed in Houston from 1958-1978 and, at one time, was the second largest club in the state.
The renewal of the club was fostered by Peggy Goode of the West Point Civitan Club who held informational and organization meetings last fall.
“We are looking for young professional who want to give back to the community,” Goode said in a previous interview. “We are also looking for retirees who have a little extra time and want to help others.”
She had good response.
Current officers include, President Scott Murphree, Vice-President Shenia K. Jones and Secretary/Treasurer Michelle Moss.
The Civitans are co-sponsoring the annual children’s fishing day at Davis Lake June 8 and will host an Art Fair for children with special needs June 15.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- Rain doesn’t stop Relay May 6, 2016
- Hilltoppers top Corinth May 6, 2016
- Hilltoppers dominate Commodores May 6, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago