HOUSTON – Shooting sports continue to hit the mark for kids participating in Chickasaw County 4-H with 27 kids traveling to the Mississippi North District shooting at Whitetail Ridge Lodge in Lee County.
“We are very pleased with the way the Chickasaw County 4-H program has grown in the last four years,” said Angie Abrams, Chickasaw County 4-H Executive Director. “Our county supervisors help fund this and give us a place to shoot. We also have a lot of volunteer support from the Chickasaw County Law Enforcement Association.”
Abrams said deputies have stepped in and act as instructors for most shooting disciplines.
“Each one of them is trained by 4-H in their particular sport,” said Abrams. “These guys have also shown up week after week to shoot with our kids and help them get better.”
Abrams pointed out Austin Reeves heads to Nebraska in June to compete in the National 4-H Shooting Sports competition in .22-caliber.
“You can go as far as you want to go with this sport through 4-H,” said Abrams. “For those serious about their shooting, we will help you move up to state and national competition. For those kids and parents looking to get started, learn shooting safety and have a good time, we can do that, too.”
4-H Shooting Sports is open to kids ages 8 to 18. Disciplines include air-rifle, .22 rifle, air-pistol, .22 pistol, shotgun, archery, muzzle loading and hunter. Youngsters ages 8-10 are limited to air-pistol and air rifle competition.
Participants also have to be a registered member of Chickasaw County 4-H. And as with all 4-H youth activities, the cost is minimum or free.
Mississippi has one of the largest 4-H Shooting Sports programs in the nation in part due to the efforts of MSU professor Dr. John Long, a driving force in the Magnolia State’s youth shooting events.
4-H has been hosting shooting sports in Chickasaw County for more than 30 years and has seen a revival in the sport.
“We teach gun safety, responsibility, character and discipline,” said abrams. “We also have girl shooters and some of them are better than the boys.”
The Chickasaw County 4-H Shooting Sports team practices every Saturday in the weeks leading up to competition in the spring. They start the program in the fall, teaching the basics to rookies and honing the skills of veteran shooters.
And Abrams said 4-H Shooting Sports build relationships with kids and adults as the program requires a parent or adult to attend every practice and shoot with their child.
For more information on Chickasaw County 4-H Shooting Sports contact the MSU Extension Service at 456-4269
The following is a list of members of the Chickasaw County 4-H Shooting Sports team, their discipline, age group and level of skill scored at the recent 4-H District Shoot at Whitetail Ridge Lodge.
5M Air Rifle
Wesley Lancaster-Chickasaw-5M Air Rifle-Junior I (8-9)-Expert
Connor Spratlin-Chickasaw-5M Air Rifle-Junior I (8-9)-Expert
Auzie Myatt-Chickasaw-5M Air Rifle-Junior II (10-11)-Expert
10M Air Rifle
Mackenzie Huffman-Chickasaw-10M Air Rifle-Junior III (12-13)-Archer
Cannon Hendrix-Chickasaw-22 Rifle-Junior II (10-11)-Sharpshooter
Mackenzie Huffman-Chickasaw-22 Rifle-Junior III (12-13)-Expert
Hunner Edington-Chickasaw-22 Rifle-Junior III (12-13)-Expert
Chase Huey-Chickasaw-22 Rifle-Junior III (12-13)-Expert
James Ingram-Chickasaw-22 Rifle-Senior I (14-15)-Sharpshooter
Sean Gregory-Chickasaw-22 Rifle-Senior I (14-15)-Sharpshooter
Cassie Earnest-Chickasaw-22 Rifle-Senior I (14-15)-Expert
Chris Hewitt-Chickasaw-22 Rifle-Senior I (14-15)-Marksman
Austin Reeves-Chickasaw-22 Rifle-Senior II (16-18)-Distinguished Expert
Stevie Peel-Chickasaw-Archery-Junior II (10-11)-Archer
Courtney Earnest-Chickasaw-Archery-Junior III (12-13)-Archer
Jenna Claire Spratlin-Chickasaw-Archery-Junior III (12-13)-Archer
Mackenzie Huffman-Chickasaw-Archery-Junior III (12-13)-Archer
Logan Fowler-Chickasaw-Archery-Junior III (12-13)-Archer
Cassie Earnest-Chickasaw-Archery-Senior I (14-15)-Qualifier
John Russell Linley-Chickasaw-Shotgun-Junior II (10-11)-Expert
Palmer Earnest-Chickasaw-Shotgun-Junior III (12-13)-Sharpshooter
Hunner Edington-Chickasaw-Shotgun-Junior III (12-13)-Marksman
Chase Huey-Chickasaw-Shotgun-Junior III (12-13)-Expert
James Ingram-Chickasaw-Shotgun-Senior I (14-15)-Sharpshooter
Cheyenne Webster-Chickasaw-Shotgun-Senior I (14-15)-Expert
Austin Reeves-Chickasaw-Shotgun-Senior II (16-18)-Distinguished Expert
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago