HOUSTON – There will be something for everyone at this year’s Houston Homecoming celebration as a well-rounds mix of music has been scheduled for the June 29 event.
Those attending the annual downtown event on the Courthouse Square will not only get the traditional food, fun and fireworks, they will hear gospel, country, jazz and solo acts.
“This is a community event and we like to have a wide variety of talent,” said Homecoming entertainment coordinator Lanny Wilson. “I think we have one of the best lineups in years and we are just urging people to put Homecoming on their calendar and come on out.”
Acts slated for this summer’s event are:
- TIM WARREN BAND. This group will be the feature act and brings together local talent and national musicians. Billed as a country act, the band has more of a mellow Nashville sound with several more modern numbers.
- GREG DILLARD. This solo act has a voice that is recognized across Northeast Mississippi. Dillard will entertain the crowd with a number of local favorites.
- ONE WAY. This gospel quartet has developed a local name for itself having brought their ministry and performed at several local churches. One Way was a crowd favorite at this spring’s Flywheel Festival.
- THE OVER-THE-HILL JAZZ BAND. Made up of Houston talent, this group of older gentlemen sings with a gusto enjoyed by the young and the young-at-heart. The group plays traditional jazz, swing and those sweet tunes enjoyed by all generations. The band made its first local appearance in years at this spring’s Flywheel Festival to rave reviews.
And while the tradition and fun of Homecoming won’t change, other details of the giant block party will.
“We still have to find a spot to shoot the fireworks,” said Wilson. “We also need to start nailing down who we want to be our entertainment for the evening.”
The construction of a telephone tower on a vacant lot on Monroe Street in September has the committee looking for a new location to launch fireworks.
“I think there are a couple of places we can choose from,” said Wilson. “We can decide that closer to time, but we do need to start thinking about it and then get the Ok to do it.”
Committee chairmen have already started soliciting donations for this year’s event.
The Houston Homecoming Committee has announced the following schedule of events for this year’s celebration.
- 4:45 p.m.- Veteran and Children’s Parade.
- 5 p.m. – Vendors open booths.
- 5 p.m. – Entertainment begins.
- 9:15 p.m. – Fireworks.
- 10 p.m. – Event closes.
For more information about Houston Homecoming 2013 call the Chickasaw Development Foundation at 456-2321.