OKOLONA – Cherry Ann Wilkinson Word, 86, died Monday, May 20, 2013, at her residence following an extended illness. She was born Jan. 25, 1927, in Memphis to Joseph C. Wilkinson and Mary Halliburton Wilkinson.
After graduating high school she continued her education at Mississippi State College for Women (MSCW) in Columbus. She married Thomas Lawler Word Jr. on April 12, 1947, and worked for many years as a teller for BancorpSouth in Tupelo as well as Okolona before retiring. She was a gracious lady who enjoyed her Bridge Club, cooking, crossword puzzles, reading, watching the cooking channel, and spending time at the beach. She was the last surviving member of her generation of a very large and loving family, known as the “Queen,” and being fun-loving and witty. She was of the Presbyterian faith, attended First Presbyterian Church in Okolona and was a former member of Wren Presbyterian Church.
A celebration of life service will be at 11 a.m. Thursday at First Presbyterian Church in Okolona with the Rev. Sandra Sisson and the Rev. Tom Cheatham officiating. Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. today in the Okolona Chapel of Holland Funeral Directors and from 10 a.m. to service time Thursday at First Presbyterian Church.
Survivors include her son, William Word (Pat) of Houston; daughter, Janice Word Cain of Okolona; daughter-in-law, Suzanne Word of West Point; 12 grandchildren, Thomas Word (Natalie), Amy Bryan (Wilkes), Matt Word (Dayna), Jenny Stubblefield (Earl), Lonny Cain (Kimberlie), Patrick Cain (Amanda), Clay Cain (Jennifer), Beth McArthur (Johnathan), Chad Galloway, Katie Mitchell (Sam), Emily Word and Tara Criddle; 16 great-grandchildren, and a host of nieces, nephews and cousins.
She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband, Thomas Lawler Word Jr., who died June 10, 1976; her son, Tommy Word; two brothers and one sister; and her companion, Louie Demoville.
Pallbearers will be Herbert Word, Rodney Hollingsworth, Tom Hollingsworth and David Turner. Honorary pallbearers will be her grandsons.
Memorials may be made to First Presbyterian Church, 326 W. Main Street, Okolona, MS 38860, First Presbyterian Church, 209 Fourth Street, South, Amory, MS 38821, or LIFE of MS, 1051 Cliff Gookin Blvd., Tupelo, MS 38801.
Condolences may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Making a difference every day April 26, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago