PRAIRIE – Wilson Craig, 95, died Friday, May 17, 2013, at the Darlington Oaks Hospice in Verona. He was born Aug. 29, 1917, in Prairie, to Henry Andrew Craig and Josephine Alice Bourland Craig. He lived his last years in the house where he was born on Old Magnolia Highway. He began his education at Prairie, graduated from Aberdeen High School and received an Agricultural Engineering Degree from Mississippi A and M, now Mississippi State University, where he graduated Magna Cum Laude. Before serving his country in the United States Army, he worked as a shell inspector in Toccoa, Ga. After completing his service in the army, he returned home to Prairie where he taught farm machinery mechanics at Trades Training Institute and then farmed for more than 60 years. He served as president of the Aberdeen School Board and was representative on various U.S.D.A. boards. He was president of the Monroe County Cattleman’s Association, received their Lifetime Achievement Award, and was recognized by the American Quarter Horse Association for over 25 years of producing registered American Quarter Horses. He was a lifetime member of the Prairie Chapel United Methodist Church where he was a trustee. He also wrote a book, “The Way It Used To Be”.
Services will be at 11 a.m. Thursday at the Prairie Methodist Church with the Rev. Steve Lampkin, the Rev. Ken Corley and the Rev. Sue McGrew officiating. Burial will be in Oddfellows Rest Cemetery. Tisdale-Lann Memorial Funeral Home of Aberdeen is in charge of the arrangements.
He is survived by his wife of 48 years, Elizabeth Haggart Craig of Prairie; two daughters, Bonnie Beth Craig Strohm (Sonny) of Fayetteville, Ga., and Ann Craig Staten (Tommy) of Aberdeen; grandchildren, Craig Craft (Leslie) of Hertford, N.C., and Kim Williams (Chuck) of Orlando, Fla.; step-grandsons, Shelby Staten (Kerrie) of Coffeeville, Jeromiah Staten (Carla) of West Point and Mark Staten (Tammy) of Hertford, N.C.; great grandchildren, Tarlie, Arden and Sidney Craft, Davis Williams and Collin, Kaylee, Abby, Cody, Dylan and Samuel Staten; special nieces, Faith Craig West and Barbara Ellard White; and special nephew, Buddy Craig.
He was preceded in death by his first wife, Bonnie Jean Bounds Craig; siblings, Jim Craig, Hansel Craig, Nora Craig and Elizabeth Craig Ellard; and nephew, Craig Ellard.
Pallbearers will be David Haggart, Duncan Haggart, John Young, Wes Holdeman, Devin Holdeman and Alex Holdeman. Honorary pallbearers are Robert White, Willie Pierce, Roy Doss, Dr. Alan Flowers and Jesse Ballard.
Visitation is 4 to 7 p.m. Wednesday at Tisdale-Lann Memorial Funeral Home Chapel.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Prairie United Methodist Church, P.O. Box 95 or Darlington Oaks Hospice in Verona, Ms., 107 Skeet Drive, 38879.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houston to craft no-smoking ordinance May 17, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Slim dollars, opportunities for lazy Americans May 21, 2016
- HLES Performs Nursery Rhymes and Possibilities May 22, 2016
- Toppers commit four errors in loss May 22, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago