Houston falls to Newton County in two
RIDGELAND – Keith Jernigan’s game plan Saturday included a Game 3 in Houston’s MHSAA Class 4A state championship series against Newton County.
First, however, his Lady Hilltoppers had to win Game 2.
Newton County – and its pitcher, Darby Bishop – didn’t let him execute his strategy. The Lady Cougars swept the series with a 10-0 victory in six innings against the defending state champions at Freedom Ridge Park.
Newton County won the series opener, 16-3, Friday.
“We were looking ahead,” Jernigan said. “We knew we had to win two games.”
Bishop (23-0) was solid in the circle, two-hitting the Lady Hilltoppers and sending them down in order in four innings.
“All of her pitches were working,” Newton County coach Justin Chaney said. “She was hitting her spots.”
Houston (26-8) started its backup pitcher, Avery Springer, to keep Friday’s starter, Audi Dendy, fresh for a third game.
The move by Jernigan also gave the Lady Hilltoppers more speed in the outfield with the addition of Josie Anderson. “Avery’s also a little faster on fielding bunts,” Jernigan noted.
Springer scattered 12 hits and recorded two strikeouts. She had given up five runs on seven hits prior to Newton County’s 5-run sixth inning.
“She did an excellent job for us,” Jernigan said. “We just couldn’t put any hits together. At this level you’ve got to get hits.”
Newton County (30-4) took a 2-0 lead in the second inning on a two-RBI double to left field by Ashton Lampton.
Abby Reeves doubled and Savannah Gates plated her with a single in the third to give the Lady Cougars a 3-0 lead.
End of game
Newton County added two more in the fifth to make it 5-0, then closed it out in the bottom of the sixth. Cassidy Blount’s two-RBI single was a key blow. The game-ending run scored on a ground out by Gates.
Houston put runners on first and second to lead off the fifth, but a line drive out and a ground out ended the threat.
“I’m proud of my players and my seniors – Avery (Springer), Audi (Dendy) and Yasmeen (Cooper),” Jernigan said. “They’ve worked hard to help build this program.”
Complete game story and photos will be published in the Wednesday, May 22 Chickasaw Journal.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago